I Forge Iron

First try at anything

danguite

I got my CO detector installed and tool holder attached to the anvil stand, so I decided it was time to give things a go.

After suggestions from several people I decided I would attempt a leaf as my first attempt at forging. It seemed to get away from me and stretch out too long leaving me too thin to make it a bit wider.

Had a good time though and that is what is important.

post-13140-0-25278700-1362348985_thumb.j

Greetings Danguite,

Looks just like my first attempt  ( 40 years ago )  I suggest you look at some of the fine videos on this websight and get some ideas.... Also I would make 4  "Z" brackets to hold down you PW anvil...   Look up anvil hold downs...

Keep a nockin

Jim

Greetings Danguite,

Also I would make 4  "Z" brackets to hold down you PW anvil...   Look up anvil hold downs...

Yeah? I routed about 3/4" down on the stand for the base and I haven't noticed it moving much. Or are you refering to something to hold down material?

Glad to see you are up and running!

The man that tought me would suggest nails or wall hooks as a first project, and I would tend to agree it's a good place to start.
-Does the CO detector discriminate CO from CO2?
The ones we used at the FeCr-plant did not, at least not the personal systems. Have they made improvements these past 10 years?

The unit I have only does CO. Looks like you can get fancier ones that will do more, but mine won't.

Looks like step 1 of a leaf.  Now that you've got it roughed out, you need to take a chisel and cold-cut the profile you like, then forge some veins in and call it done.  A lot of leaves are longer like that, so don't think you've failed at all.  It's just the beginning and gives you a chance to practice other aspects of the blacksmith's craft.

Looks like step 1 of a leaf.  Now that you've got it roughed out, you need to take a chisel and cold-cut the profile you like, then forge some veins in and call it done.  A lot of leaves are longer like that, so don't think you've failed at all.  It's just the beginning and gives you a chance to practice other aspects of the blacksmith's craft.

It seemed like I couldn't get much metal to move each heat. When you heat, do you wait until it hits the right color and take it out or should you let it reach your color and wait to make sure it is heated all the way through?

Dan,

you have got a good start, I am new to this also. I have gotten so much good information from this site, alot of great smiths on here share their knowledge and experience generously. Its alot of fun to read thru IFI, check out the "pages" tab or the "alchemy" tab for references.

Keep on having fun. And if you get a chance, spend some personal time with one of the masters.

Vince

Dan,
you have got a good start, I am new to this also. I have gotten so much good information from this site, alot of great smiths on here share their knowledge and experience generously. Its alot of fun to read thru IFI, check out the "pages" tab or the "alchemy" tab for references.
Keep on having fun. And if you get a chance, spend some personal time with one of the masters.
Vince

Yup, I've been living on this site for several months. =)

I've been looking for some local classes and I think I'll be lining some up shortly.