I Forge Iron

Primal/tactical quasi-Celtic short sword

Stormcrow

This was an experiement.  I've been wanting to make a double-edged blade inspired by Celtic La Tene swords for a while (whether that is evident in the final product or not).  I had a customer approach me about a sword blade, so I forged this out as a test piece to see how I would do forging a double-edged blade.  I think I see some Chinese influence as well, but it's mostly my style turned toward doing a double-edged short sword.  Seeing how this one turned out, I can now see about forging a longer blade.

shortsword05_zps0f25afe6.jpg

The overall length is 19 3/4" and the blade, including the choils, is 13 1/5".  The steel is 5160 and the handle is toxic green and black paracord impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener, with a three-strand Turk's head knot.  Both edges shave hair.

The sheath is Kydex with two MOLLE locks.

shortsword03_zpsf4b52046.jpg

I see the Celtic qualities as well as some Roman qualities, but a lot of Iron Age swords looked similar, probably used similarly. Also, cultures spread, even back then, and influenced one another. In any case, it was truly a successful experiment, as it looks awesome!

I check the forums most every day but don't comment much. This sword I really like. I've had it in my mind to try my hand at a gladius and a seax someday. After seeing this I may just have to try for something similar first as far as making a sword someday goes.