I Forge Iron

Big Stock for a special kind of anvil

Stopped by to visit my friend Robert Eggerling, damascus maker extraordinaire. Robert collects alot of cool stuff, a smith through and through hehe. I bought this here round, the smaller of two he has. It's 10 1/4" round and 11 1/2" long, 268 pounds. I will be making a special anvil with it, more photos here as I go along.

64826_10200711301775889_1895774895_n.jpg

post-12147-0-20372100-1362058196_thumb.jif you look in the right bottom corner of this pic i have a similar block of steel set up as a striking anvil. it is 10" in diameter and 10" tall with a 3" by 7" lip on the bottom that fits in the hole on top of the stand. it is 260# and is a die block for a gear die from eatons manuf. here in kearney.

Pete, not sure yet, gotta spark it to see if it's mild or something else, warranting a closer look. My idea is, to make different kinds of dies, and mount them to the top front side, then hang a small helve hammer off the far side. Multiple shapes able to be bolted to the front and far sides for different things, cutters, swages, radii. Raise the whole thing up on heavy steel legs/stand, tong racks and stuff underneath.

• 2 weeks later...