I Forge Iron

at least i know where to get free firewood

Pug}{maN

Wow; it started snowing during church here in Central NM, heavy large flakes and started building up on the grass before we got out.  I high tailed it home and built a nice fire in the woodstove---our passive solar house doesn't do so well on gray windy days and sat drinking hot tea and reading and watching the snow.  It stopped before dark with only about 1" on the grass.and it was gone the next day---and I was working in the shop in just a long sleeve shirt. (and pants and socks/shoes...)

Of course we are in year 26 of a decade long drought so we were all cheering it on....

When a tree is finally on the ground, ALWAYS cut the limbs first and work your way down the tree to the roots. If a piece of wood FALLS it is only about 16 inches long and NOT under pressure. It is when you try to cut limbs under strain, pressure, twist, etc, limbs loaded with torque that you get into trouble. 

If you are in a hurry cut double fire wood lengths. If you normally cut 16 inch lengths, now cut 32 inch lengths. You can still handle the weight and it is still easy to load. When you get home stack the wood between 4 fence posts (2 on each end) and make one long vertical cut through the entire pile, leaving two sections of 16 inch lengths.