I Forge Iron

Creative Anvil

These pics are to test my abilities to resize a couple of jpgs, but they are also good examples of the setup that the Brazeal brothers used at their now famous demos. Shows that you can employ something besides an anvil shape to do very good work. They only used the little anvil's horn for turning - all forging was done on the edge of the plate.

Brazeal2.jpg
Brazeal1.jpg

BTW, the top one is supposed to be 660 pixels and the bottom is 440.

Might be hard to see from the picture but the first shape on the left is a butcher for setting shoulders, the next is flat, the next is a very large radius fuller and the far right is a smaller more aggressive fuller. Almost everything they did was on the middle fuller and flat surfaces. Using a sledge to assist, they drew 1" square down to about 5/16" in one heat.

Here's mine, a 75 lb chunk of I beam from the scrap yard. Rings a lot when you hit out on the wings, but very solid over the center web. Have to figure out a better horn though. That Jackhammer bit c-clamped to the side doesn't work that well

anvil.jpg

horn.jpg

Michael-Scaring the neighbors since Thanksgiving 2004

I got a 455# 6" diameter axil forging from ptree, and am going to make it into my sledging anvil... All the weight right under the face, I just need to bury the 22" diameter flange at the bottom to get it low enough to use with a gang of helper sledges, or for me what is a normal working height;-) it is 37.5" long at the moment, so I will need to bury it nearly a foot or more.