I Forge Iron

need some insite on this thing...

i know i have most all the stuff to weld up a power or treadle hammer , the base anvil is solid steel at 140 pounds , the frame is i-beem and square stock scrap i have, i got a truck spring for the top and all the other bits...

the one thing i dont know is about the hammer , does it need to weigh a certen pounds ? or is it going to depend on if its power or treadle ? and on that note , what should it be ? im not shure ? would like to use it to help punch and fuller and some light drawing out. i only have 110 out in the shop though so if its power thats what i got...

20130222_171001_zps6f3694a6.jpg

20130222_171022_zpse221cae3.jpg

Any power hammer is better than no power hammer as long as it doesn't break and hurt you.  At first glance I'd say that the size of materials you are starting with would be good for an average size treadle hammer (60 to 90# head) or a lighter power hammer, 15 to 20#.  Folks have made heavier hammers with similar materials but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns... you can do a lot of good work with a 20# hammer and a 3/4 horse motor.  

Perhaps weld on a few more pieces of bar to the sides of the anvil to up the mass and give your dies full support.  

If your building a "rusty" type hammer you can easily power a 25lb hammer with a 3/4hp motor and could probably do it with a 1/2hp. Check out the Appalachian blacksmith site for better info on size of hammer and power required.

i just went over there and yes that is what im looking at doing , what about the hammer weight ? they dont look to be a big size ... i have a motor out of a washer i could use , there like 3/4 horse though i think...

i see now there classified by hammer size ... so if i have a 20 pound hammer size its a 20 pound hammer... ok so what size can i make it with the 140 pound anvil...

Many folks claim the need of a certain hammer to anvil proportion. In down in the dirt terms that means if you use a sledge hammer on a 65 pound anvil there is gonna be a whole lot of unhappiness. Things may withstand the energy for a few hits but in the end there is going to be a whole lots of shaking going on. Short story is the project is wrong.

Now if we substantially increase the size of the anvil then you can drive that sledge hammer for a long time. Same thing about your home made hammer. You really need a pretty darn big anvil..in the correct shape.

When you get to Brian's you will be able to compare things about a treadle hammer. Personally I look forward to have my own treadle hammer and I have a 65 pound power hammer. A few of the activities can be done by both, some only by one very well.

Keep researching the power hammer. Clay Spencer has designed and constructed some very impressive equiptment.

Carry on

Greetings Pug,

From what I can see with the iron you have It would make a treadle hammer....  I don,t see much of a power hammer in your material... I have 3 treadle hammers and have worked with many designs... ABANA has some plans that I think would fit... Clay Spencer design..

Good luck on the build

Jim

Buy this book and read it.  http://www.amazon.com/Pounding-out-profits-development-crank-actuated/dp/0965765202

Go to page 45 or whatever of IFI's power hammer forum and start reading, don't just look at photos.  Read EACH thread.  Work your way from old threads to today.  Probably more power hammer info here and in POTP than anywhere else in the world outside of industrial factories.  Anvilfire's power hammer page is another good resource but it's been eclipsed by IFI in the last 5 or 10 years.  A week of reading will be worth more than a few good but short replies to your specific questions.