I Forge Iron

Turkey Fryer Forge?

Farm Hand

I'm new to metalworking, and new to this forum. However, I am familiar with discussion forums and searched this one for a question similar to mine, to preclude redundancy. So my question may be original: Can I make a small forge using the burner from a propane turkey fryer as the heat source? What I have is the burner (mounted on its stand) with its hose/regulator assembly. I've used it to melt wheel weights before, but nothing hotter. I lucked into a good anvil, and have retired to a farm. We stick weld, and cut and bend metal using an oxy/propane torch. I just got the idea to use firebricks and maybe that burner for a temporary forge when needed. I assume that I'd need to put iron pipe between the hose and burner. Has anyone heard of this setup being done?

You're reading my mind. I figured a few dollars for firebrick from the local big-box store, and see what happens. If you do it, please let me know how it turns out. I can't pursue this until I finish a big fabrication (cutting & stick welding) project. If I try it before you do, I'll post the results. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a cast iron pipe reducer over a turkey fryer burner, made a litle basket out of expanded metal, and put the lid from a dutch oven on top.  It heated metal hot enough to hammer, but it took a while, and the expanded metal burned out pretty quick.  I've built several propane burners since then, and there is no comparison.  You will waste enough propane to cover the cost of some plumbing parts for a burner pretty quick. If you are setup to weld, I doubt you will find making a burner all that difficult. 

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest problem with most commercial burners not intended for forge work is that they run too oxidizing and do not have the ability to tune them otherwise.

I hadn't thought of that. The burner on this one has an adjustable plate where the air gets sucked in. If that probably would do the job, I'll probably press on with the idea some day. If that won't help, I'll just make a burner. There is so much that I don't know.

• 1 month later...

also a newbie, also thinking turkey fryer forge burner.  You guys must be brilliant! 

So here's the pluses as i see it: 

cheap, comes with a regulator, needle valve, hose, fittings, and sort-of burner.  it also typically puts out 200K+ BTU/hr, which is in the same range as other burners sold commercially for forges. pot stand makes a good forge stand!  Also has the air control as already noted, so you have fuel and air control. 

cons: 

regulator is not adjustable, cheap, but apparently flows enough gas based on the BTU numbers. , burner is not what i want, but i think i can cut off the "shower-head" part and keep the tubular portion , maybe add on a flare to the end and Voila! 

it's too easy, right?  what am i missing?

I have some lightweight firebricks and "kiln shelf" for the floor on order from Sheffield Pottery so i'm looking forward to trying this out.. 

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/SOFT-BRICKS-Insulating-Firebrick-s/372.htm

planning a brick stack forge like LarryZoeller has on his web site.  http://www.zoellerforge.com/firebrickforge.html

safety question...since there's no thermocouple safety valve, is this an outside-only setup?  i don't want to burn my house down, it migh xxxxx off the wife. 

thanks for the help.   

One of the biggest drawbacks to venturing in to new interests is the cost. And having done this in several areas i can tell you that sticking to things that work from day one is the very cheapest way you will find. As mentioned above there is information on making forges from designs that work, both on this site and others. If you change the way they say to build then you risk having to remake or start over.

But is you are set on bulding this then do. I have done many things like this. Most end up in the scrap pile and are replaced by wot I should have built to begin with. You may even try utube videos for a clip of a working forge made from a turkey cookin burner.

this post was deleted once,,   by accident i suppose. 

Rich, yes I agree 100%.  I'm thinking this approach is a cheap way to get a proven design, or at least near to it.  If the sawn off burner doesn't work, i can always plug the nozzle into a "standard" pipe and fitting type burner I think.    Worst case, i get a cheap regulator/hose/nozzle assembly and forge stand!