I Forge Iron

hypothetical RR track question

Thanks guys, those are great ideas but unfortunately I do not have tools (or access to them) that will cut through a section of rail.  I guess using the underside as a chisel/cutting table is the way I'll have to go for now. At least it'll be intact in the event that I do get something that can cut through it.

I've cut through trolley rail using a 30" hack saw made by mounting a section of metal cutting bandsaw blade in a wood cutting bow saw frame---the mounting holes are just slightly closer together than the wood saw blade to increase tendion and you cut from the bottom side of the rail.

For full sized RR rail I use my angle grinder.

If you haven't an angle grinder you best bet is to spend your time making some friends with people who have such things.

Thomas I actually do have an angle grinder but I was under the impression that I needed a 10" chop saw or something.  What I have is "1 36" rail which I understand means it's 136 lbs per yard and is one of the biggest types.  Is that vastly different than trolley rail?  Either way, thanks...this is good to know.  

I have an *old* 9" industrial angle grinder that plows trough quite heavy steel indeed as long as I can hold it steady.

Getting good brand wheels for it makes a HUGE difference.  I always keep an eye open for them at fleamarkets and conferences and buy them whenever I can find them cheap for use during the rest of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

dwE6vO7.jpg

I made my second anvil out of a chunk of RR track. I ground it down with flap wheels over a few days worth of work. I also cut off the edges that mushroomed out to square everything up. Not a bad few days/hours worth of work, and hey, i made my own anvil. :) feel free to copy it entirely, if you like. ( A friend plasma cut out the shape for me that i liked!) Thats about all you need, though.

I made a transitional anvil from 110# rail, and I fould that breaking the rail was extreamly difficult, even after scoring it deeply. As Alicia suggests, a days grinding can yield a serviceable anvil. Unless you have a way to securely clampa piece that short, I wouldn't count on breaking it with a sledge

That's a very nice RR track anvil, well done! 

I found another use for a piece of track.  Last night I was trying to straighten a rock bar for someone.  My postvise was too small to act as a press for the bend, but heating a 10" section of the bar, then putting it on the ground I used a 2' piece of track to press it down which got the majority of the bend out.  I then did minor adjustments on the anvil.