I Forge Iron

So your shop doesn't have tools...

I was reading some old blueprints and pages late one night recently, and I thought that this would be good advice to share, as I learned it from the page on newbie tips.

Make a tool everytime you start up the forge. Then, before long you'll have a great many tools!

I know I have found this to be a great excercise in creativity and forging ability, as I have had to muster the motivation to begin with making a tool, then thinking about what tool to make and making it. Since starting doing this, I have made two tongs, a square punch, and a stump anvil (light duty stump anvil)

So, if you're short on tools, ONE A DAY!

It works, trust me. You'll be a full shop in no time this way.

A corollary:  Before the internet forums became the primary information exchanges for blacksmiths we had the print and snail mail Hammer's Blow, Anvil's Ring, and Blacksmith's Journal monthly publications.  For years I attempted to make one item inspired from each publication each month (a minimum of 3 non-paying interesting and challenging items per month).  Made a lot of crummy tools, non working hardware and ugly sculpture for the first few years.  But I learned how to forge metal.  When I stacked the experimental/learning projects on top of the paying jobs my learning curve took off.

Make something every day, every week, every month.  Practice, practice, practice.  

All good practice. I would add that even though metal prices can be frustrating if you can't find scrap, use it for experiements still. I find myself wanting not to mess up becuase I paid so much, and I don't give myself time to practice or the chance to fail. So, make sure you make something to hone your skills, be it trinket or tool!

Flint strikers are a very good way of honing your skills and turning out a marketable project.  There are dozens of variations and levels of quality.  I have a bit of 1/4" thick golf cart leaf spring (iirc) that I hot-cut a 1/2" wide piece off of, and by the time you hammer it a bit thinner and draw a taper and curl for the C-shape.... well, that's a good bit of practice.