I Forge Iron

Couple of steel questions

First question, do large old masonary drill bits make good tools, are they made of a good workable tool steel is

what I am trying to ask I have spotted a few 1in x 12in ones at a cheap place idk what the guy wants for them, I was thinking

along the ines of .75 a piece ??

Second question is, how was damascus steel made back in the medevil days. Was it just plain old mild steel folded

1000x or did they put a alloy into the steel to make it a higher carbon content ?

Masonry bits will probably be a medium carbon (tough) steel with tungsten carbide bits silver soldered to it, remove the carbides and have at it.

Why don't you research Damascus steel, by time you've managed to winnow the chaff from the real info you'll have a darned good start. Damascus means (of the mark) or marked and refers to the pattern made by the process. First you have to have access to the original ores used in True Damascus steel, learn to "smelt" it and I don't believe it was actually smelted, I'm not a bladesmith guy. Then you get to learn how it was processed and no it isn't simply folded and welded.

Heck, it requires quite a bit of knowledge to even ask good questions. I MAY have just enough to ask Rich or maybe Steve where to start reading to learn enough to ask good questions. Damascus steel is a really involved thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

First question, do large old masonary drill bits make good tools, are they made of a good workable tool steel is

what I am trying to ask I have spotted a few 1in x 12in ones at a cheap place idk what the guy wants for them, I was thinking

along the ines of .75 a piece ??

Second question is, how was damascus steel made back in the medevil days. Was it just plain old mild steel folded

1000x or did they put a alloy into the steel to make it a higher carbon content ?

I assume you are talking about star drills that are used with a hammer.  They are made from hardenable steel fine for hand punches and chisels and the like.  They are often water harding  but I would not make a tool that was going to be used often out of unknown steel because you will never know the optimal heat treatment.  It may be too soft or to hard and break or it may not have the correct qualities to make that kind of tool.  For example for example axel steel would not make a good razor.  But at $.75 each you have nothing to loose.  Mild steel is a modern invention and so is any alloy with a number or name.  You are confusing pattern welded steel and wootz steel.  You should do some more reading there is a a lot you don't understand.  These questions have been covered many many times here. 

Thanks for the reponses, I am going to do some more research =)

I am obviously new to this, so I didnt really know where to start to look but I have some

good pointers now... time to do some reading !

I never scrolled down beyond the forge section, I didnnt realize how many catagories are on this site !

Je-wizz Phil, 

Now you gave it all away!!! How are we supposed to compete if you give everyone our trade secrets ? And besides you've posted it in the wrong thread it should have been divulged in the thread about trade secrets that was up earlier this week.

You're really starting to disappoint me. :( 

Doc