I Forge Iron

Case of the floating anvil

Well here is a bit of fun, I had to move all 200kg of anvil and anvil base aproximatly 10m.

Many of you will say that this is easy I do not agree, especially as my floor is dirt and the

edges of the anvil base kept digging in while I attempted to brute strength it along its path.

Many thanks though go to my genius brother who sugested the Egyptian way of doing things as seen below.

217900_189492564526397_840925866_n.jpg

Still needed a little bit of strength but not really that much.

185763_189492451193075_416889584_n.jpg

And now my shop is looking a bit more organised.

217727_189492621193058_1748738879_n.jpg

Tomorrow I complete my forge with my mentor and then...

Mwhua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha the work can begin!

May I congratulate you on finding an easier way, using brains not brawn.

Your method can be improved by putting two long pipes, logs, boards, etc, down as rails or a bed and then using the rollers. The rollers do not dig into or fill with dirt and things go a lot more smoothly.

The second suggestion is using leverage. Build a platform the same height or just a bit higher than your anvil. Place a strong piece of board or pipe across the top of the anvil and secure the anvil to the (let us call it pipe) pipe. Now figure out where you need to place the platform and the anvil so you can lift the anvil by raising up on the *work* end of the pipe.  A longer pipe/board is better than a short one, as it makes lifting easier and the moving faster.

Once the lever is established, put the platform toward the destination, or where you want the anvil to go, anvil where it is easy to pick up, and work end away from the destination. Pick up on the work end of the pipe and walk 180* so the work end of the pipe now points toward the destination. Reset the platform, slice the pipe through the ropes, and repeat as needed to walk the anvil to it's new home.

Simple machines are just that, SIMPLE, and work. Use them to your advantage.

i have an earth floor in my workshop and it is rarely solid these days (we've had nothing but rain since last april!), still it is amazing what you can move around with a few rollers and a lever :)  I have to put a board down so my rollers (any round bar or pipe I have to hand) doesn't just sink into the floor. Recently I've moved a small power hammer around, my big old generator and my flypress (that one went 15 feet through the workshop and up a ramp onto a 2 foot high table with rollers, levers and a hand winch).

Good going Razz brain over brawn rocks.

The Egyptians used slaves in the copper and tin mines in Turkey, Afghanistan, etc. not the pyramids or other construction, those were sacred works. They paid the workers in beer and grain. Sounds like blacksmith's wages if it were beer and BBQ. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.