I Forge Iron

Side-draft or full hood?

Up until now, I've only used an open forge, no hood of any kind. I am contemplating building a space dedicated to blacksmithing (as a hobby).

My question is what do y'all think is the best design and what might I consider in the pros and cons? This will be from the ground up, and I would welcome any input from all of you.

Thanks JWB, I have read what I could find on this site, regarding the drafting principles of both. The side draft appears to be the most efficient, but I thought I would listen to what you all had to say.

I'm curious about how much smoke is produced when you start your fire. Is it similar to an open forge, or a forge with a covering hood?

Loosely crumple a couple of sheets of newspaper and set it on fire. Place it at the opening of the hood and let it burn to get the draft going. Start the fire and the newspaper fire induced draft will suck up most of the smoke from the forge fire.

How much smoke? From zero smoke to the amount that reflects your skill at fire maintenance.

Keeping a hole in the top if the coal in the forge to increase the draft in the chimney. The result is it burns the smoke from the fire, and what is left unburned is sucked up the chimney.

Herchammer,
I have a ten inch flue pipe sticking 4'-5' above the peak of my roof. It is a straight shot with no bends. I put a 4" smoke shelve in the hood and mine draws well even when first fired. As Glenn stated I have noticed as it warms up the draft does increase and as tbrforge said once it gets going it will pull the whole fire toward the draft opening.
I built my side draft coalforge in about 2 long days. But I'm not as fast as most but I do have a fairly well equiped shop which helps. Which ever design you decide to go with good luck.

Here is a link to the thread and the pictures of mine. http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/new-coal-forge-3101/

JWB