I Forge Iron

Metric conversion

BT

Muttricks, Bah Humbug, my measuring tools are in thousands, inches, and feet. They were good enough to build a great nation that was the most powerful in the world, then Muttricks and Dumbicrats came along and now all the industry has moved elsewhere. America was self sufficient before Muttricks came along. Too Bad Mili Meter didn't drown on the way over the big ponds. And I am still working on - palm, span, hand, cubit, bible cubit, link, rod, chain, quire, ream, bundle, bale, nail, quarter, pennyweight, ounce, pound, grains, dram, short ton, long ton, scruple, pint, quart, gallon, barrel, hogshead, fathom, cable length, mile, nautical mile, furlong, league, peck, bushel, chaldor, cord, rood, units, and gross.

True Jr. but you have to agree that this site has these often needed conversions among others:

454 graham crackers = 1 pound cake
10 rations = 1 decoration
100 rations = 1 C-ration
10 millipedes = 1 centipede
2 wharves = 1 paradox :)

I absolutely, categorically and without qualm totally and utterly disagree Jr. I'd rather divide and multiply by ten any day. I can't see the problem myself.

You seem, from your post, to treat metrics with utter contempt which is sad. The ruination of a whole country...gee, wouldn't have thought metrics were that bad. Still, nothing wrong with letting another state have the reins for a while! World War Three over measurement systems...a surveyor's dream. But I take it mostly as tongue in cheek as I know you know the value of such a simple system dealing with just tenths of this or tens of that. Your list is impressive and labels you a guru on old measurements however it is far from complete. What about bee's d---s (appendages), fraggs, skins of teeth, hair breadths, widths of idicator, paces, tinnies (refer to Dale) and touches to name a few.

And to counter your argument doesn't it seem odd that a great nation built with an antiquated measuring system opted very early for an infinitely simpler monetory system than pounds, shillings, pence, florins, zacs, deeners, bobs and guineas.

Hear Hear!

Nothing wrong with moving a decimal point back and forth a few places. They're light, and easily portable. The imperial system of dividing by twelve dates back to the other great nation of Sumeria. They don't do a lot these days, as I hear.

On the subject of jobs moving to other places, (I wish mine would come to *me* for a change) perhaps resistance to change played a hand in things? :D

Here's another conversion system for you.... I don't think it'll catch on (at least not for smithing!)

weirdconverter.com
weirdconverter.com

I work for an Italian company. We make and sell sheet metal Fab equipment. SO I deal with customers that work in metric and inches. I grew up in inches and now speak both fluently.
25.4mm= 1"
1mm=0.03937"

If you would like to know an interesting fact is that we (United States) are the only nation that I have dealt with, that uses a "gauge" system for sheet metal.IE 12ga 16ga etc. And I worked with alot of customers abroad,
Everyone else defines it as the thickness only. So when I tell one of my collegues in Itlay that I am forming 18Ga stainless, they look at me like I have an alligator coming out of my nose!