I Forge Iron

Massey 2 CWT Stuck valve

Hi
 Can anyone help? I have recently acquired a 2CWT Massey clear space hammer. The hammer has lived out side in the elements for the past 16 years and is currently undergoing something of a refurbishment. I've managed to free most of the stuck parts but have become stuck with a sticking (stuck) valve. I can unscrew the top nut and drop the spindle as far as it will go within the machine. There is another nut at the top but some enterprising bod in the past has hammered (peined) the protruding thread so is difficult to remove. Can anyone help with the correct way to remove the control valve assembly for renovation and refitting?
See attached photos.....

post-28170-0-81858300-1357153896_thumb.jpost-28170-0-27331700-1357153908_thumb.jpost-28170-0-89065200-1357153923_thumb.jpost-28170-0-15143000-1357153935_thumb.jpost-28170-0-65790900-1357153947_thumb.j

you could shoot a PM to John N on here if he don't see this thread.

he is the owner of massey and he know all there is to know about them ;)

but that peened end sounds like trouble to me :wacko:

good luck with it its a dream machine from what I've heard 

The valve is supposed to come out the top.  You need to unhook the linkage and spring  at the bottom first.  Make sure you put the nut back on the top first.  The spacing of the valves is CRITICAL and you want to make sure it stays together properly.  My hammer had to sit outside for a couple of years and no water made it into the valving so hopefully it will not be as big a job as you think.  The Massey breathes out the bottom rather than through the top like a Nazel with that rain catcher on the top. 

I used a piece of aluminum struck by a hammer to move some parts when rebuilding my Nazel. I personally wouldn't use a bottle jack, unless necessary, because you can't feel the pressure like you can by hand. Also soak the heck out of it for days with penetrating oils. You have probably done that, but keep it up. Just my thoughts.

I would gently try a chain fall or forklift pulling it out the top, there is a hole through the nut.  I might try the bottle jack route with a block of hardwood between the jack and the valve parts both to spread the load out and act like a load limiter.  I would put tension on the top and keep it there while tapping or pressing from the bottom.   Lots of oil,  I think there is a penetrating oil recipe on here that is a mix of Acetone and Transmission fluid?

If it moves half inch or so up and down, and then sticks there is probably a broken valve disc stuck in a port.

Assming its just gunked up from sitting you have a few options,

-Try and get a jack under the bottom of it, and give it a shove upwards,

-Try and give it a pull from above from the top nut (chain block, stacker truck, bar through it and a couple of little jacks etc)

-Take the top nut off, and bully the 7 vavle portions out one at a time. Note, the top valve portion is 'adjustable' , so you will see a larger nut around its stem. If you undo that nut by whatever means, you can slide the cast iron portion up and out of the way. All the other valve portions have cast iron 'spiders' that you can get chain hooks under to bully them out. Ie, get the top piece shifted and it gets progressively easier.

Note, dont bully them to much, They are cast iron and fragile !

Have fun....

Thanks John and everyone else, I think It might be a broken valve as I found a small thin piece of broken cast iron in the sump when I drained the oily sludge (along with a broken split pin and a large washer !?). I will try soaking with the wonder penetrating oil and then disassemble. Will post photos if anyone's interested......

• 3 weeks later...

4th portion down is missing its central band altogether ! (should have 3 bands on it) Not sure off the top of my head what the missing band does ! Ill have a look at my 'slider' model when I get chance which might give me a clue.

It must have got broken at some point, and instead of repairing it they have removed it. I would get it running and see what it does, or doesnt do :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

i just pulled out the Valves on my 2cwt Massey clearspace ,and reading John N's comment about the  the missing ring on the 4th portion of benprothero,s valve on his 2cwt, mine is the same ,no band in the middle,and it doesnt look like its been repaired .On a dfferent subject,all portions on my Valve assembly  except "B"and "C" are spinning,shouldnt they be rotating or spinning  as well?