I Forge Iron

What are some makers of "Good" older cast anvils

I started with a Harbor Freight 55lb ASO. If its all you can get hold of, it does work. However, there is a caveat. The edges tend to chip, it's light, and only the bottom of the horn is round (duckbill horn). It's also a dead anvil. With no rebound, you work harder to swing a hammer, and the stop will jar your wrist.

Still, it served me well until I got my Hay Budden.

I love Fishers(of course).  Look for one with a good top and edges.  Very kind to the ears when forging.

I agree, worked for years on a RR track anvil.  After 4 years of looking I finally got my hands on a 200lb Fisher.  My wife used to complain about the ringing, the first time I forged on the Fisher she never heard it and she was at the closest point in the house to my shop.  LOL, she did say today whatever I was doing was shaking the house, she couldn't hear it.  My sledge was working on a piece of damascus.  Who new? ;)  

Please define "older"  More than 10 years old or more than 100 years old?  In the last 100 years or so there have probably been dozens of brands of cast steel anvils made in or imported to the USA.  The most common that T Joe missed are probably Nimba, TFS, Old World, West, Fontanini, Delta, NC Tool, Rhino, to name a few.  I'm sure I'm missing some.  There have been a tremendous number of quality foundries here in the US that made one or a short run of cast steel anvils.  

From the standpoint of functionality there is a moderate difference in quality between all cast steel anvils ASSUMING condition is the same.  But please note that the lowest reasonable quality cast steel anvil is an order of magnitude better than a RR track anvil, most scrap anvils, or a cast iron ASO.  Also keep in mind that a skilled smith can make things on a RR track anvil that a beginner with the finest tools money can buy could never dream of.