I Forge Iron

Tried some courting candle holders today

Tubularfab

More Christmas gifts! Courting candles always intrigued me so I gave them a try. It's also the first time I tried making brass rivets - I like the look! First candle I made:

Then I simplified a bit and made 3 more:
post-28670-0-96968900-1355877357_thumb.jpost-28670-0-41400900-1355877374_thumb.jpost-28670-0-72356200-1355877546_thumb.j

I like the mechanical aspect of the moving holder. It took some fiddling to get them to work right.
post-28670-0-78788500-1355877605_thumb.jpost-28670-0-19183500-1355877628_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! They are pretty simple to make, but I really like the look of them. I also like the mechanical aspect - and the fact that they have a cool heritage/history just adds to them. I gave those 4 as Christmas gifts this year, and they were well received. I included a federal style candle as shown, and a printed out copy of the story of the courting candle was wrapped around the candle.

The hard part is keeping the "pitch" of the spiral consistent as deviation will easily show. It was my first attempt at making rivets, and all I had on hand was 3/16" brass. I annealed it, but I would assume copper would be more malleable? These tended to get a little brittle on the edges. I guess I'll try purchased rivets and see how they go.

While your rivets may not be domed they look cleanly done to me and they add a nice contrast. I've pretty much given up on brass at this point. Between it's irritating cold working characteristics (it work hardens very fast) and it's propensity to behave poorly under heat I'm thinking just copper and bronze from hear on out. Of course your mileage may vary. Have you tried making rivets with mild steel yet? The process is very similar to nail making,

I like the contrasting color so I only used the brass on these. I will have to pick up some heavy single strand copper wire to have on hand next time. I was up against a time constraint when I did these. They seem sound...

I actually have made steel rivets before, just not ones to be visible.

First, your work is beautiful. I've made a few of these myself...and repeated the "legend" of the courting candle. However, I am convinced the so called legend is a fabrication designed to sell candle holders! I have several books on traditional lighting. None mention the "courting candle". A couple months ago, I posted a question to this site, asking if anyone had verifiable donumentation of the legend. Nothing. It's a cool story, but until someone can provide me with documetation, in the interest of historical accuracy, I will not propagate it. Once again, beautiful work.

• 3 weeks later...

TubularFab, The candle holders look real good. Your trouble with maintaining uniform pitch could be addressed by instead of curling the rod individually, take two rods (or three rods if you want a really steep pitch) side by side and wrap them simultaneously around your form (pipe, large rod, or some other mandrel) and when you've got the coil length you want just uncoil the rods from each other and finish the ends as necessary. The extra rod (s) will determine the pitch and help in maintaining uniformity in the wrap, and it also means one more gift for someone - Just a thought. -Charlie