I Forge Iron

W-1 and Moose

tantrum86

Here is a stag handled Hunter im working on it is in need of a sheath and sharpening but im a little stumped on how to get more out of the Moose shed that I was given to make it with the shed was pretty old and I told the client I would do my best but it isnt shining up well, I'm at 600 grit and i've tried some peroxide(3%) to bring out more white but to no avail.... :( any how, the Blade is W-1 at 3 3/4inches, stainless spacers and gaurd with pruple heart spacer in between. As always advice tips and tricks would be great!!!

post-4629-0-91318600-1355428099_thumb.jp

post-4629-0-30121700-1355428108_thumb.jp

post-4629-0-56372000-1355428116_thumb.jp

I'd be tempted to try epoxy resin thinned with xylene to make a hard sealed surface. However I'd do test pieces till I found out how well it works. There are places that stabilize various materials as a matter of course. You can try calling a university's antiquities or paleontology dept. In both depts they have to harden and stabilize finds before moving them.

A more off the wall place to try might be the police forensic division They run into the weirdest things they have to recover without damaging.

In any case tell them what you're doing and the problem, they may have something on the shelf and not have to brainstorm a solution. AND if they don't know or can't think of something be sure to ask if they know of someone who might. I used to be a lab rat and believe me something to break the monotony of taking, noting careful measurements makes your day.

Frosty The Lucky.