I Forge Iron

tried some spring punches today

I ran across a post titled spring tools and figured I'd give it a go. I really enjoyed making these punches as they showed the progress I've made in the past few months. I still want to make a few more. So let me know what you think.post-23601-0-50818600-1354920717_thumb.jpost-23601-0-00458400-1354920593_thumb.j
Bob punch,
Eye punch,
Square punch,
Round punch,
Hot cut chisel,
Small fuller,
I still need to heat treat the business end

Those look great, no hammer marks!

These would be a good exercise in heat treat. (If you need the exercise, even though heat treat is not necessary for hot work...)

low material cost

low time investment

simple cross sections

The first two mean a failure is not costly.  The third means that an aggressive quench is not likely to crack the tool. 

Phil

Can full? Must be a garbage can! I couldn't possibly keep them in a can, over a little over 15 years I have probably accumulated a couple of hundred punches, chisels and drifts and about 3/4 are made either by modifying an original or made from scratch from spring or sucker rod etc.

Make a shadow box you can mount on the wall with different depth holes and you can put the punches in business end out so you can see what you are grabbing. Seriously you can never have too many punches etc.

Thanks for the compliments. I've been working on the no hammer marks thing. I will heat treat as I need practice on heat treating and I probably will be using some of the punches on cold for lay out.

Why not make a set specifically for cold working, they need heat treating to be fully effective, and cutting angles are usually different on cold working tools to the angles/section of hot working tools

Why not make a set specifically for cold working, they need heat treating to be fully effective, and cutting angles are usually different on cold working tools to the angles/section of hot working tools

Alright John you talked me into it! You can never have enough and I ejoyed making them plus its good practice and as bonus I end up with more tools. Win win