I Forge Iron

Cable/wire-rope

This probably has been beaten to death already, but a quick search didn't turn up much, so here goes:

Where do you get small amounts of steel cable ?

And how can you tell what the composition is ?  Spark test ?

If it's used cable, what do you do to get rid of the grease and crud, besides just fireing it up ?

Thanks... I've never used cable before and I'm thinking about it.

Pete

Call up an elevator service company or one that works with cranes; out this way a drilling rig servicing company would be my first choice as all these items tend to change the wear pattern on their steel cable on a regular basis by pulling a length off and cutting it. Also a wire rope/cable company that sells and splices and etc pieces Did a simple google of Wire Rope New Hampshire and got 8 hits for example: Cableworks, Inc. - Putnam, CT (Serving New Hampshire) Distributor, Custom Manufacturer Custom manufacturer & distributor of wire ropes. Types of wire ropes include stranded wire ropes, cable tool drilling wire ropes, reel length wire ropes, cut coils wire ropes & special fabricated wire ropes. Wire ropes are fabricated in different materials such as carbon steel, galvanized steel & stainless steel. Available in dia. from 1/16 in. to 2 in. Wire ropes are used for lifting, pulling & hoisting applications. Wire ropes meet OSHA, ASME/ANSI, ASTM & military standards. Same-day delivery available. As to finding out what type it is you ask as they *have* to know the alloy to sell it for critical use activities.

Thanks... that early offering was one of the few that turned up on a search.  I see he never posted prices -- or at least not yet.  No urgency in any case -- I wouldn't likely be doing anything much with it before Spring. 

I hadn't considered the other sources.  Kind of embarrassing, since I worked for Otis Elevator for a few years.

--Pete

Some of the blade guys in our area carry with them little trinkets or other blacksmith gifts to offer in exchange for cutoffs at cable suppliers. Some have even offered up a cable knife or two and came home with enough cable pieces to last a year or more. I know this practice will not close doors but it surely helps open them  when trying to make a trade.

The value of the cutoff ends at a cable place is scrap. Those guys are dealing with feet, yards, meters, etc in lengths with the added value of installing eyes on the ends. So in reality if you are paying or trading more than scrap price you are in the wrong place. Be savvy while being a good patron. Around our neck of the woods being gentlemanly goes way farther than strict business as usual.

Carry on

I was lucky enough to find a 15 foot piece of heavy cable buried in the woods during deer season this fall. I'm sure it was for dragging logs out. Not quite sure how old it is but I'm planning on making something out of it after the holidays. Amazing what you can find in the woods when you're looking around.

Thanks... that early offering was one of the few that turned up on a search. I see he never posted prices -- or at least not yet. No urgency in any case -- I wouldn't likely be doing anything much with it before Spring. I hadn't considered the other sources. Kind of embarrassing, since I worked for Otis Elevator for a few years. --Pete
Elevator guy huh? I am also, I have been with OTIS for 7 yrs and in the trade for 12. There is hemp in the center of elevator hoist cables. There isn't any in most crane cables.

I get mine from a local industrial place that sells "wire rope". I believe it is used down hole in oil wells. since it is not galvanized it comes packed with grease. Go ahead just let the grease burn as you head towards welding temps. It does not interfere with the weld an it appears to help the pattern stand out.

I also get mine at a place that sells wire rope and services the shipping industry around Seattle, WA.  They always have scrap pieces and I gotten so really good stuff for free.  The most I've had to pay us maybe $.50/lb (scrap value).

Ususally I don't even have to think about a spark test - they have the specs available!

I would think there would be a number of similar places in the NE.

I'm an overhead crane tech and I go through lots of wire rope. I scrap alot under 3/4 inch but not to much big stuff. Some 1 1/4 inch rigging that failed inspection recently made it into my scrap pile. Find a crane tech. They can probably get you more than you'll go through maybe......EVER

Yup, I worked for Otis from 1961-1965.  First at the Yonkers Works, then at Engineering down in NYC.  Interesting place.  (The Works, not the office -- that was shirt-and-tie stuff, plenty to be learned, but short on application.)