I Forge Iron

Another ugly anvil - a Wilkinsons with a broken back

I just got this Wilkinsons anvil and am going to try to rework it. It's marked 0-3-0 so it was about 84lbs new - not sure it is any more after I attacked it with a grinder! The top plate is really bad with several horizontal cracks or delaminations. Anyone know how thick it would have started life as? I thought it was pretty thick, but turns out the edges were so mushroomed ove that I was misleading. I ground out the obvious cracks and was abl to follow the horizontal cracks by watching the blue color flash between passes. (A quick flash of blue is a sign that you're on a thin cross section).

Plan is to brin everything up level with some E9018 I have. Then I'm going to use Lincoln Wearshield 15CrMn to do the final surfacing. This is supposed to be an impact resistant, work hardening rod very similar to the Stoody 1105 most recommend on here. The reason for going Lincoln is, besides liking their products, I think I can get a sample box to do the job.

post-28670-0-83944400-1354334258_thumb.j

post-28670-0-23160600-1354334279_thumb.j

post-28670-0-96508900-1354334353_thumb.j

post-28670-0-34232300-1354334396_thumb.j

post-28670-0-20798300-1354334483_thumb.j

Lucky to get samples of such fine products!

That anvil is quite usable the way it is, but since the cost is low (in your case) and you obviously looked up what to do I think repairing is a good idea.

Find your way over to anvilfire.com and check the FAQ section for edge radius and other related information.

Phil

It may still have functioned as a hard surface to beat metal, but there was almost no surface even close to flat. Will have almost nothing in the repair so might as well give it a shot. Should be educational for my students as well. Did I mention I'm a welding instructor at a community college?

People always think that anvils need to be more pristine than required. A perfectly flat surface is not required, and in some tasks, such as straightening, sway is desired (but I would never consider deliberately making sway in an anvil)

I do agree, repair it since you have the ability and the cost is near free. In fact because you are teaching that is another reason to repair it!

Phil

The pictures did not show how damaged the top plate was. There were long cracks like delaminations that were quite large. Had big gaps after grinding them out.

Now it's been built back up "close" with E9018 and ground fairly flat and square. It still has about 3/16 sway at the most in the middle. I'm thinking of leaving that in it as a little character! I didn't go crazy filling in all the slightest marks between welds, so some flaws still show.

I'm going to leave it like this for now. I figure a little work hardening can't hurt it. It has surprising rebound left after all the welding, but does mark a little as you can see below. Ought to be fine for working hot steel...

post-28670-0-13244300-1354575554_thumb.j

Wow, you work fast!

Is e9018 a hard-facing rod or a build-up rod?  The hard-facing rod the welding store sold me is supposed to be used for rock crushers and the like, but is limited to only two layers, iirc.

Did you do a pre-heat and post-heat on the anvil?

It's just a build-up rod. The 90 part means 90,000 psi tensile strength, the 18 explains position and flux type, etc. You'll find most build p rods on here mentioned are 7018, which is a lower strength rod (70,000 psi) with the same welding characteristics as the 9018. Another way to describe these rods is low hydrogen (helps avoid embrittlement), all position rod for structural welding. Oh, and the deposit from an E7018 is going to be the same as your basic MIG weld deposit (designated ER70S6).

Yes, I stacked up firebrick around it and heated it with a propane burner. Did the welding, then let cool in the makeshift oven.

Any info on what the rods are? You really want a rod with manganese for the impact resistance rather than a typical abrasion resistant hard facing to get the ideal surface.

I'm really surprised how much rebound was retained even though its just "soft" filler I added.

Tube, awesome explanation.  I'm slowly trying to come to terms with the terms involved in welding, but mostly just fabricating inventive new cuss words!

Did you weld the right over the top of the tool-steel face plate?  No worries about the different types of metal and their interaction with the 9018 rods?  

If I recall correctly, and I'll be sure to get to the shop tomorrow to verify, the rods I bought do have a high manganese content.  Some folks say that this isn't what I want, but their salesman, after explaining what I was doing, claimed that the rods would bond well with wrought iron, stand up to beating on, and give me a finished RC of around 52-56.  I just haven't had the guts to actually try my hand at welding on the anvil.

It does have a "squarish" hole up through from the bottom pretty much centered.  Why do you ask?  Now I'm curious!

Well I have been trying to identify my own anvil and this looks very similar.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/29603-possible-mousehole-anvil/

So mine could well be a wilkinsons. But who knows.

All the best
Andy

The hole in the bottom, under the horn and under the heel are handling holes for special tongs so the whole mass could be moved and manipulated during forging.

Some anvils have 3, some anvils have fewer, I wouldn't be surprised if some have more than 3.

Phil

• 2 months later...