I Forge Iron

New Chile Forge

01tundra

He has it bolted to the floor from the looks of it.

Correct, the stand is anchored to my 6" thick concrete floor with three 3/8" drop-in anchors.  I've anchored my anvil stand and post vise to the slab as well.

David sent my a fire brick to partially block off the back opening when not in use, should be here this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Please be sure you have adequate ventilation in your garage when you use your forge.  A carbon monoxide monitor is essential to know it's safe...

Nice looking forge, by the way...

Yep, I have three 10'x10' garage doors, five 5'x3' operable windows and one 3'-0" walk-in door in my shop.  Also have a CO monitor mounted on the wall across from my forge.  With the one door partially open in front of where my forge is mounted, the CO monitor stays on 0% after hours of forging.  I keep an eye on it and usually open the walk-in  door as well, just for good measure.

Thanks.  I've really enjoyed this little forge so far.

Nice looking boat. I wonder if I haven't bumped into you on the Ocoee at some point.

Thanks.  We're not up to the Ocoee skill level yet.  We hang more on the French Broad, Tuckasegee, Lower Green, Hiwassee, etc at this point.  Nantahala is next on the list.

Running the forge at 7 psig the other day just to see how it would do.  

I typically run at around 5 psig with the choke slide opened about 1-1/2".  If I run it at 3 psig it's plenty hot to forge, but sometimes the burner will start making a crazy chirping noise and the flame will start rolling out for a split second, then it straightens itself back out.  It will do that occasionally unless I crank the pressure up to around 5 psig, wears on my nerves every time it decides to hiccup like that.  This is while having the back opening partially blocked with a fire brick, not sure why it does it at around 3 psig and hardly ever at 5 psig????? 

Gasser.jpg

It'll probably be the flame burning back down the burner tube. It happens when the speed of the flame-front through the gas mixture exceeds the speed that the gas mixture is moving in the other direction.

By turning up the pressure, you have increased the mixture speed to exceed the flame speed. The gas flow through a jet varies with the square root of the pressure, so going from 3 PSI to 5 PSI will have increased both gas usage and mixture speed by around 29%.

Many burners have a "flare" on the end; a tapered section in which the mixture speed reduces as the are increases. Somewhere in the taper, the flame speed will match the mixture speed and the flame will stabilize.

Other burners have a flame retention cup, which works differently but still stabilizes the flame. There is a step-change in diameter, which sets up a sort of donut of turbulence. The mixture drags some of whatever atmosphere is present along with it in the middle of the donut and more of the atmosphere is drawn down the outside of the donut to fill the space left by the bit that was dragged out. As the atmosphere at the end of the burner consists of flame, the effect is to have the flame continually working as its own pilot. Some burners have neither a flare nor a retention cup, but the step-change where the burner enters the forge chamber has the same effect as a retention cup.

The flame speed varies with temperature, pressure and air:fuel ratio. Once the flame-front starts to accelerate, it sets up a pressure wave which increases the flame speed, increasing the pressure and so on, until it runs out of fuel/air mixture and goes out. Then nothing happens until the unburnt mixture reaches the hot forge, where it ignites and the acceleration process starts again. Each time the flame moves down the burner tube, it heats it up a little, which has the effect of increasing the flame speed. You'll probably find that the first couple of hiccups are a few seconds apart, but that the frequency increases if you don't catch it quickly.

Thanks.  We're not up to the Ocoee skill level yet.  We hang more on the French Broad, Tuckasegee, Lower Green, Hiwassee, etc at this point.  Nantahala is next on the list.

Nothing wrong with taking things slow. Slow is safe, safe is good. If you can run lesser wesser consistently with no flips or swims you should have no difficulties on the Ocoee provided your trip leader knows the "kinder gentler" lines.

SYOTR.

• 4 months later...

Update:

I've been running this little forge for almost six months now and still loving every minute of it.

I've used it at the very least 4 hrs per week and sometimes much more than that.  To date I've used 10 gallons of propane between the forge and operating our gas grill almost daily.  I was surprised to see how little gas I've ran through.

I keep saying I'm going to get the coal forge out every weekend....but it's so darn easy to throw the valves open and fire the Tabasco up.  I almost feel guilt about not having my coal forge burning in six months.

The only thing I've done is add two short vertical pieces of 1/4" round to the sides of the stock support to keep metal from rolling off the sides.

Thanks for the update sir! I will be placing my order for a Habanero tomorrow. Can't wait.

The side posts is a great idea, would bolt one side posts be an issue you think?

I'm not sure I understand you question, are you asking about bolt-on side posted in lieu of welded on, maybe with some sort of small clamps?  

If so, I can't see why that would be an issue.  I've had a few occasions where a piece of stock rolled has off the side of the support and out of the forge, it's never fun dodging a 2' long hot poker flying at you  :D .

haha I bet. Yes I meant to ask if they could just bolt right on with clamps. Wasn't so sure how hot those supports gots.

Would you be able to post a photo of those side posts please?

I'll take a picture tonight.

The stock supports get extremely hot, but I'm sure you could use a couple small hose clamps and a short piece of 1/4" stock per side and make that work if you didn't wave access to a welder.

I'll do that, it's only going to be temp if I do. My friend can weld it for me, but is only randomly avaialable. At least this way I have something to use in the meantime.

I'll take a picture tonight.

The stock supports get extremely hot, but I'm sure you could use a couple small hose clamps and a short piece of 1/4" stock per side and make that work if you didn't wave access to a welder.

• 1 month later...

I decided to make some removable extensions yesterday for the stock holder to be able to support longer stock.  I just used some scrap that I had laying around the shop and they ended up working great.  They still allow the factory stock holder to slide back and forth for different length stock, but the starting position with the extensions installed is about 2' farther away from the forge.  Since I primarily work with 3/8" and smaller stock on the gas forge, these are plenty strong for the task at hand.

c14508a2-23d4-4111-9c0e-505c1ab748f9_zps

bc9ef20c-0027-457b-9a86-8501038573b4_zps

StockHolderExtensions3_zps26a00bc8.jpg

• 4 months later...

Habanero arrived a few days ago - got it set up and fired up today....WOW - what a great piece of equipment!

Nice folks to deal with and a well designed and very well built forge...just doesn't get any better than that.

3psi and it will do anything I want....looking forward to seeing just what it's capable of.

Really is so much easier to concentrate on having fun with the hammer & anvil when you don't have to worry about your heat.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Habanero arrived a few days ago - got it set up and fired up today....WOW - what a great piece of equipment!

Nice folks to deal with and a well designed and very well built forge...just doesn't get any better than that.

3psi and it will do anything I want....looking forward to seeing just what it's capable of.

Really is so much easier to concentrate on having fun with the hammer & anvil when you don't have to worry about your heat.

Dean

I agree, it's awesome. 

I run between 3-5psi. Never had to go higher, although I haven't done any welding yet.