I Forge Iron

Anvil hold down tools

I have one that is a square made out of 3/8sq.that will fit over the heel of my anvil.It has a spring attached to the bottom bar and the other end of the spring is attached to my anvil stand.It has a small handle welded to the top bar.I have it set so the hold down sits a couple of inches ahead of the hardy hole,that way you can work both sides of the hold down and still use your hardy hole.
Pull it off of the heel and it flops down out of the way.

I have a length of roller chain fastened to the anvil stump and it drapes up and over the anvil with a weight on the other end that rests about 3" off the floor. I originaly used regular chain but it wanted to roll so I went to the roller chain and it stays flat and holds alot better. It's simple, effective and since it attaches to the anvil base you always know were it's at.

John

promotive,
I attached a couple of pictures of my anvil hold down. I can't remember where the idea came from but it's not mine. If you just use the roller chain it only goes in one axis. That makes it hard to keep out of the way when your not using it. I added 3 links of regular chain to each end so that it will swivel 360 degrees, alot easier to use this way. You can't see it to well in the picture but the chain is lag bolted on the side of the anvil stand facing you as you normally forge.

John

2491.attach

2492.attach

Down next to the ground, see the lead weight cast around the end of the chain? Flip it over the anvil, and the chain holds the work down. Half of a two pound coffee can filled with molten lead. After it set up, peel off the can.ppw

I picked up the top jaw of a pipe wrench on the side of the road, forged it to fit nicely in the hardy hole, welded a T handle on the top and drilled a hole through the bottom for a spring to attach to.

To use, slip in the hardy hole and attach the spring to it from below. Pull up on the handle and slip work under the jaw and let down.