I Forge Iron

BIG gas forge problems

Valentin

Ok ...BARE with me... for aout 2 years i have worked with a gas forge with a single burner and it did the job...of heating up the iron but not forge welding heat...
OLD GAS FORGE...

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/964/ppuser/613

1 week ago i started changing the forge 1st thing 2 do was ...buy chamota mortar and glue the bricks 2gheter ...then i have made front and back dor to slide up and down... after that i have found an old burner that i did not used ...caz i don't know why i just built it and left it arround for days like this...and i have instald it in the forge..this is how it looks like after instaling it and how it burns
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3736/ppuser/613
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3739/ppuser/613
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3735/ppuser/613
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3736/ppuser/613
....for some reason i just was not satisfied with only one burner ...the heat was not enof for forge weling afer 45 minutes of runing .I have to say that the flame was nice blue and no flames coming out from the inside of the forge ,,,i have scarped the old roof of the forge and made one to acomodate one more burner ...the old one as well... http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3740/ppuser/613 reglued the bricks and mouted both burners in ...each burner has it's own GAS VALVE so i can use only one at a time ... one other thing that i did was to retract the burners inside the bricks.... the old setup had the burner inside the forge for about ...2 inches now hey are both in the middle of the bricks...When i lited the forge up ... surpize ... flames coming out from the forge blue ...red ...yelow all the colors u name it ...very frustrating and in my opinion dangerous caz the flame where quite big ....i only kept the fron door opend to the maximum and the gas pressure i have tried from 0psi up to 1.3 the same thing flames coming out.Then i tried to fire up only one burner ....like i did so many times befor ... using only one buburner ...but suprize .... flames outside the forge as well....
my question is WHY ? and how to fix this Do i need 2 open up the the back door as wel... ? what to do ?

10q for reading all my story and plz excuze me if i made speling mistakes

Holy Cow what are you doing :o

On your video you can see much unburned gas floating out of your forge.
To much pressure and to less air.

On your pictures you could see your problem at lower pressure. The gas burns already in your tube. The gas flow becomes to slow. Reduce the diameter and make a flare.

This links would be helpful.
Bernoulli's Principle
Good burner with MIG-Tip
The simplest solution
Another simple burner
Forced air burner

Sven 10x for the links most apreciated...i am at number 6 now... 6 diffeent burners from 6 diferent websites with diferent blueprints all burning inside the pipe...One thing they had in comon... the burner pipe was thicker than 1" and longer than 25 cm. Now i am making on the lathe a burner that i really don't belive thqat will heat up my big forge but i am giving to try.The burner pipe is 3/4 and 10 cm short ...somehow i just don't belive that i will have enof heat in the forge in order 2 forge weld ... I can't seem 2 find a Venturi in the shops to buy so i am making my own bell on the lathe ....and all the feetings to put the gas nozzel in the middel of the burner pipe...Plz plz work :) i am tired of playing with gas ...i will keep you posted with ...hopefully the improvements of my burners

Hi Valentin. It looks like you have put a lot of time and energy into this. Instead of getting discouraged, try "thinking out of the box".

Thomas has a very good suggestion. Try a blown burner. This is what I wanted to do after a few failures with naturally aspirated burners. But, I never found the right (cheap enough) blower until I stumbled into one at a garage sale. At this time, I never heard of dryer or dishwasher blowers.

I tried out one of the designs on the WWW, the Oliver Backwind Burner. Failed, and I posted a question on a blacksmith's group. I received a reply that nobody uses that design because it is unreliable. Later found out that I had propane delivery problems. I ended up getting pushed, because one of my friends enrolled me in a crafts fair at the last minute and I had to get busy. I used the design at Anvilfire. It worked OK, but only for forging. I was able to make enough items to fill my table. Later, I talked with the instructor in one of the forge building workshops. He said I used too large of a MIG tip, and the forge was running rich. That's why it would not weld. So, I took his advice, and the forge welded. I made sure to look him up and give him the rest of the package of useless (to me) MIG tips. Good advice is worth more than stuff.

I tried 3 times to get it right, and this is too much. 6 times is really too much. If you really want to succeed, buy :o a burner from a reputable source (Larry Zoeller, Chileforge, or people tell me that T-Rex is good). Then, take your time and reverse engineer it :cool:. If you want, you can make an exact duplicate (backup) and convince yourself that you can succeed. If you still cannot succeed, have somebody go through it with you step by step. Take notes, and see if you can reproduce it after he is gone. Don't worry, I know people who cannot duplicate it 15 minutes after the expert leaves the room. That doesn't mean you are dumb or inadequate. That just means that burner building is not your thing, and you should move on to something else, like, errrr..., forging :D. Anyway, I get more out of using burners than building them, and although I am proud to show off the little forge at conferences, it is more interesting banging stuff out.

Valentin,
I have a small collection of even smaller forges (two modified bean-can forges and one modified "freon-tank" forge). I actually bought a T-rex burner (shorty model) from rex price and will say that it is amazing. In the freon-tank forge, using about 3.5 -4 psi, I regularly work everything up to 1-inch square stock in the bright orange-orange yellow colors I have no doubt that I can reach welding temps easily. and I am using one of his smallest burners. If the money is not a problem, they are most definitely worth checking out.

I like banging iron/steel, but I enjoy the building thing too - Sven, thanks for the links. they are really cool