I Forge Iron

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01fhphb

It's a programme about Tudor armour that was on BBC 4 last night. I didn't see this from the beginning but I'm going to watch it from the start on iPlayer. My jaw was on the floor for most of it.

I'd post this in one of the weapon making forums but iPlayer doesn't work outside the UK so doesn't seem much point.

Remember one aspect of high end armour was to impress the riff-raff that you were worth a *LOT* more alive to be ransomed than dead and looted.

Have you seen the book about the Negrolis? Repousee in medium carbon steel armour!!!!!!!!!!!

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and His Contemporaries
Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N. Y.), Leydi, Silvio, Godoy, Jose-A, Negroli, Filippo, Pyhrr, Stuart W.
ISBN: 0870998722 / 0-87099-872-2

Remember one aspect of high end armour was to impress the riff-raff that you were worth a *LOT* more alive to be ransomed than dead and looted.

Have you seen the book about the Negrolis? Repousee in medium carbon steel armour!!!!!!!!!!!

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and His Contemporaries
Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N. Y.), Leydi, Silvio, Godoy, Jose-A, Negroli, Filippo, Pyhrr, Stuart W.
ISBN: 0870998722 / 0-87099-872-2

i used to spend hours in the national library poring over that book thomas.... absolute genius's

I watched that programme a few months ago. Very interesting watch.
It seems that the fashion changed through times and a lot of Henry VIII's armour was inspired by Italian styles and made by descendants of German smiths.

All of his armour was made for use as well. A lot of people don't realise that the fat Henry VIII, used to be very thin and a great fighter in tournaments when he was younger. So his armour pieces were pretty, but also functional.

Interesting programme!

It's interesting to see a timeline of Henry VIII's armours; the lithe armours of his youth gradually giving way to the globose armours of his later years.

BTW there is an interesting book on the Royal Armouries from a technical standpoint---

The Royal Armoury at Greenwich, 1515-1649: A History of Its Technology (Royal Armouries Monograph)
de Reuck, Anthony (there is a quite cheap copy listed at abebooks.com if you are in the UK!)

An interesting series, but the titles can be a wee bit misleading.

The 'Blacksmith's' tale, for example, branched off and dwelt in the distant world of the foundryman!

Nonetheless, all to the good if it opens the public's eyes to metalwork.

It was quite useful to me as a novice but it did focus quite a bit on Baroque gates and such, I can appreciate the craftsmanship but I have next to no interest in that sort of thing. As you say it's something for the public but a bit more info on techniques and metalurgy would have been nice.