I Forge Iron

Thanks Robakyo, pallet wood scales pt II

The blade itself is blah <_< , I really wanted to try Robakyo's suggestion for the scales. If it didn't work the little forged 1080 blade wasn't going to kill me to junk. -_- Those who thought the wood was ash, I think your right. As per his instructions, final sanding was done with steel wool with a little vinigar added. Finished with tung oil and wax. You never know what kind of suprises might be lurking in an unasuming pallet. :o
001-2.jpg

If you go behind stores like Walmart, Kmart, Big Lots, etc, you can get pallets from overseas shipments that are made from tropical woods like teak and mahogany. Whatever is their "cheap" wood equivalent it's usually some rather nice stuff by our standards.

Hey JMC, nice looking ODC! I like what you did with the handles. The stuff I've been using to stain wood is vinegar that has reached the point where it has lost its power. It is extremely dark from all of the oxides dissolved in it. I also added some iron filings to improve the color. It still produces an effect much lighter and redder than I expect.

I'm glad you like this use for vinegar. I'm sure it has been "discovered" before. Just looking at that dark reddish liquid makes you think "what if."

Robert

• 4 weeks later...