I Forge Iron

Don't like my first forge

chopit

The blowers is a 150 I cant find any markings on it. It doesn't seem to move very much air. I don't think it will get very hot. The blowers works but my only experience is with a friends champion 400 hand crank. I will fire it up next week when I get some coal and see. I guess I couldpipe a hand crank blowers to it.

Good Morning,

That blower is NOT like a 400. Can't compare them. The little ratchet forge works well with small fires, you don't need HUGE BLOW.
I have used a forge exactly like yours, Start with a small fire, You will get some good heat. Check that the impellors aren't damaged and the air passage is free. Make sure the ash dump closes!! If there is a breeze (wind), take a piece of sheet metal and make a half round shield (approx 8-10" high), hold it to the pan with 2 or 3 bolts. It is easy to rotate the forge to accomodate the wind.

Neil

Forges are sized for the work they are meant to do. You can have some leeway by over cranking a small one or under cranking a large one. However expecting a small forge to do large work without pushing the envelope is not in the cards.

As building a forge is pretty simple as long as you can source a working blower, why not keep that for small work and build a larger one for large work. Besides which if you are just getting started small work is better to learn on and so you can get good while waiting on sourcing a bigger blower!

(oh yes did you examine the blower vanes to make sure they were all there and intact? trimming them down even slightly so a blower doesn't "tic" when used can really really impact the amount of air it moves---if you didn't check for this *before* purchase Caveat Emptor!)

I did some adjusting on it this morning and it got a lot better. It puts out a good steady flow of air now. I put some brass washers at the collar contact points of the large crank wheel. I also loosened up on the teeth contact area. I had it to tight and was binding. I also figured out how to steadily crank it. Thomaspowers you are correct I will just have to use this for small stuff. I have two weeks off starting next week. If I can get my honeydos finished I'm gonna make a bigger forge. My welding and fabrication skills are much better than my blacksmithing attempts. I just really wanted to do this with no electric where you create it not a power tool.

Ahhh traditionally the apprentice ran the air supply not the smith and the earliest powerhammer I've been able to date was in the 900's (Personal conversation, Medieval Technology Conference Penn State University)

Of course "sole authorship" is a very modern concept...

My I like to run non-electric because I don't have electricity in my shop---save for a single extension cord I run a light off of (or an electric drill or angle grinder during daytime)

Several years back a guy brought a piece of steel in from farm equipment..about one inch thick and six inches wide and iabouit three foot long...was bent almost double in the middle,,we heated it several times and with two strikers straightened it our reall well..all heat was on a forge almost exactly like yours and i am sure the same size! nice forge