I Forge Iron

Tanto style blacksmith's knife

TheoRockNazz

Howdy again,
I'm back with a straight tanto style blacksmith's twisted handle knife.
Reforged car spring (5160 high carbon steel) Japanese style blade - clay heat treated to produce a noticeable differential quench temper line. I chose spring steel because it's ideal for absorbing the shock of chopping anything from meat to wood, with a hardened edge for great cutting ability and soft spine for absorbing shock. I wish the hamon stood out more, but it tends not to show on 5160 (hence the acid bath). This guy's for sale. I'm always interested in comments and critique,
Theo Rock Nazz
post-25471-0-59842200-1352250901_thumb.j
post-25471-0-49770900-1352250918_thumb.j
post-25471-0-73612600-1352250909_thumb.j
post-25471-0-48345600-1352250928_thumb.j

Really nicely done Theo. Your Blacksmith's knife has some fine lines. I'm really liking your filework. It has a spontaneous quality to it that really compliments the organic nature of the Blacksmith's knife handle.

I see that your sheath is unfinished. I noticed the hole in the back of the sheath where the belt loop will eventually be. But your leather-work is looking good too.

Robert

Haha, thank you Loneforge. So far my most advantageous/inventive idea is to find fine tungston carbide dust and forge weld/trap it into laminated 1050 (I figure medium carbon is best)... maybe san mai it all with a S7 or 5160 shell so if it's a large blade it can absorb chops/slashes better. In my dreams it cuts through softer metals.
*ahem* anyways, I'm sure we've all got some wacky ideas floating around in the backs of our mind.