I Forge Iron

Reconditioning a Face

First of all is their enough face thickness not to worry about losing some of it?

If so a belt sander should do it and you do NOT want to grind all the way through every dent! Just clean it up a bit. The old large anvils tended to have softer faces due to auto tempering and slower quenches and so often show more dings.

I had an idiot drive a chisel into the face of my mousehole anvil. The dings closed up nicely with a lot of ball peen hammering and T.I.G. welded 1/16" E 70-S2 mild steel . Weld with very low amperage , peen each tiny pass. Do not build up a bump, just fill cracks. I would not use a grinder at all on the anvil . A belt sander or sandpaper flap discs should be all you need to finish it .

I went the hard way and it worked real good. I took a file to my fisher which had a dinged up face. The file stays flat on the face and I just elbow greased the bugger. After maybe 10-30 minute sessions, the face came out really nice, no heat build-up, no over grinding. The beauty of the file is that you will not overdo it. Major arm work though.

#36 grit cup wheel held FLAT in swirling motions across the whole face, then on to Finer grit flap discs flat across the whole face. The dissapearing marks are a good indicator of how even your progress is. I wouldn't try to get all the marks on that one, works for me.........

• 2 weeks later...

I put a little work into it this weekend. I used a angle grinder with a cutting disk, then a belt sander, and finished it by hand.
http://s1137.beta.photobucket.com/user/Paulky/media/kk162.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
If someone can tell me how to put decent sized pictures in my post I would appreciate it.
If i upload then directly they are always too big.

Phil is right however that is over simplified. Think in steps. Get a program that will allow you to import pics and re-size them. Here it may seem very complicated..but ...when re-sizing a picture most programs are thinking in inches. Generally right there beside the options area you chose pixels instead of inches or dots per inch. Most here will choose 400 or 600 or 800 pixels in the horizontal choice. That makes a decent size picture that is easy to upload or download or look at.
Good luck with your very nice anvil.

Carry on