I Forge Iron

hammer

gustab

This is a fantastic blueprint :D and I would heartily recommend it to anybody. In fact, there is someone on Ebay chopping hammers and selling them at 10 times the price.

One tiny suggestion for a modification. By making the angle on the peen wider, you can speed up the grinding task. I don't know if there is a disadvantage because then you might not see what you are doing. When one of the other smiths saw my hammer, he made this comment, and the next time I saw him, he had a diagonal peen hammer made according to his modification. I tried it out and it seemed to work fine.

I have a diagonal peen that Finnr made by regrinding the face of a drilling hammer, it works great,
I had a beginning selection of good quality hammers from estwing, and nordic, I think finn wanted to convince me that the diagonal peen was really useful, so he gave me one that he had made, As a beginner I think I spent a lot of time straight forging when I ought to be fullering, that hammer makes a difference, and helps
I have since reforged hammers myself to make punches and cutters, I think its rather easy compared to making your own complete hammer.
Jared