I Forge Iron

Custodian of the anvil...

Paulky what it's worth is somewhere between scrap rate and 4 dollars a pound depending on CONDITION, STYLE and LOCATION.

So can you answer this question for me: I can buy a ford pickup---what is it worth? Kind of hard without details!

As for loading and unloading when I bought my 515# fisher I used a 600# rated 2 wheel dolly to move it from the garage to my pickup and then used a "cherry picker/engine hoist" to pick it up and put it in the truck. I used a STOUT tree and a come along to remove it from the truck and used the truck to drag it in front of my shop and then had 4 stout friends lift it with rods through the hardy holes and bring it in the shop.

I recently moved it again by laying 2x6 on the shop floor and pushing the anvil off the stand onto them then using a chain and the truck to pull it to the new location then I put a rod in the hardy and pulled back on it to lift the front section and placed a piece of 2x6" under the front and then pushed on the rod to lift the back and placed 2 pieces of 2x6 under it and continued alternating which end I lifted with the rod and the direction I stacked the wood pieces until the anvil was the same height as my stump and then worked it over onto the stump. This method works very well as long as you are *CAREFUL* to keep your wood stacks stable as you build them. And as always keep yourself out of the way of any possible failure mode. No problem dropping the anvil on the floor---big problem dropping it on *you*!

Thank you I do appreciate the advice. I found one which sold recently on ebay for $3,350! 550Lb peter Wright double Horned. The Ebay prices do seem a little crazy though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/548-lb-NEAR-MINT-PETER-WRIGHT-DOUBLE-HORN-BLACKSMITH-ANVIL-Forge-Iron-1800s-/130752966086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e717bedc6

Thank you Kevan, it's good to share forum space with a good sport. Just for my information do you bitch when you do a bark texture?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, ha ha. In fact I thought this a good thread to feature all the faithful dogs (and cats) who spend so much of their time with us in our smithies.
Very often a picture of a workshop or a job under construction will feature in this forum and there in a corner or just milling around will be the loyal pooch.
What say you?