I Forge Iron

More Tongs? Well, of course....

Whirly

The tong collection is slowly growing, as new shapes are required.
post-25292-0-37285000-1348464352_thumb.j

Like these box-jaws I needed for 1" square bar.
post-25292-0-26042000-1348464412_thumb.jpost-25292-0-27897200-1348464435_thumb.j

Then I followed a 'Tongs' post that lead me to Brian's 'Hold everything' tongs and I just had to make me some.
post-25292-0-14801700-1348464681_thumb.j
These have got to be the absolute best tongs anyone can have in a shop. I've picked up all sorts of odd shaped bits of steel with these babies. They really are the Ducks nuts when it comes to tongs.

They got me thinking about how many tongs we seem to need, and how often particular tongs get used. I regularly pick up two or three sets that cover most jobs and if they don't do it, I have to stop progress and make another set. So I was thinking of something like these,
post-25292-0-53398500-1348465400_thumb.j
Perhaps this has been done before, but I reckon something along these lines would be useful. The 'bits' could be a standard sized square bar and whatever shape required could be forged or forged and welded on. Then when that 'one-off' set of tongs is required, just the 'bits' need be made.

Would probably be good for travelling too as a box of 'bits/jaws' wouldn't take up as much room as an arm-load of tongs.

Anyhow, just a thought at this stage.

Love the idea of the multiple bits for one base. Rather like having a dozen bits for a hand drill instead of having a dozens stand-alone drills.

I would drill a hole through the shafts just before the ends (the part in the socket) so I could wire the two matching halves together when I wasn't using them. Then you could simply hang them from a hook on the wall. The hole should be large enough that the set screw seats deeply, though it sure doesn't need to be threaded.

Now, my question is do you start with a section of tube and work it down into the reins, or make the reins out of solid stock and weld the sockets on at the end?

Multi bit tongs are a neat idea, but I can see myself frantically rooting thru a huge pile of bits in the bottom of a tool box looking for the match for the ONE bit I've found already. ;), Would also expect set screws and sliding fits to wear out to sloppy fits pretty quick under heavy use.

Hope to be proved wrong thou, it's a cool idea.

Thanks Fellas,

Multiweld, multigrips are just like another set of tongs, they're great and I use them, but they won't do it all.

Francis thanks, the tong ends are only for those strange shaped things we sometimes make that none of the available tongs will hold properly/safely
(Learnt about the right tongs for the job while making a knife. Was shaping the handle and holding the blade when a hammer-strike flicked the still-red knife up off the anvil and up to give me a kiss on the face. Took a couple of weeks for the burn to fade)

Vaughn, good idea for keeping the jaws together. I should have drawn an indent in the jaws for the locking screw. i probably wouldn't use the through hole to hold the jaws as it may get 'slop' and burr the thread. As to construction, whatever works Mate. I'd go the second option, make a set of tongs and weld the jaw holders on.

Judson, I think Vaughn has fixed your 'Lost jaw' problem with the hole and wire idea. As to things getting loose/worn, yeah proberbly if they were used all the time. I was thinking more along the lines of 'special/one-off' or rarely used applications. If they were a 'travelling' set then I'd use something tough to make the holders out of, like drill rod, sucker rod, etc.

Coming in somewhat shorter of the vision of interchangeable bits, you could also make stacking inserts to reduce the internal dimensions of larger tongs.

For example, a box jaw with inserts that reduced it from 1" square to 3/4" to 1/4" and so forth.

As for connecting the bits, a pin welded to the jaw insert that runs through a hole in the jaw. A Spanish latch attached to the body of the tong could secure it.

Anything magnetic or spring held may fail due to heat.

Or........

Why not make the working bit out of a large bolt.

The tong ends have nuts welded to them and the two pieces are screwed together when needed. A thin locking nut on the bit could be cinched down tight to prevent unwanted twisting. Adjusting the length of one bit relative to its partner could be very handy for some applications.

Did that make sense?