I Forge Iron

When it Rains, It POURS!!!! Anvils

Just how lucky can one man be??? I mean, seriously?!?

Less than one week after scoring the WONDERFUL Hay Budden Anvil (plus extras) that I shared in another thread here:

http://www.iforgeiro...ay-budden-anvil

I uncovered THIS one today!! And "uncovered" is the operative term:

post-27378-0-18619200-1348178861_thumb.jpost-27378-0-43975600-1348178901_thumb.jpost-27378-0-49898100-1348178870_thumb.jpost-27378-0-70831800-1348178877_thumb.jpost-27378-0-92052800-1348178886_thumb.j

It's another Hay Budden - a 155 pounder - and even through the heavy scale, I can read the markings.

This is the story of how I found it...

I buy and sell antiques for a living. Today, I had occasion to be on a house call to look at some items that turned out to be of little consequence. While leaving the home with the owner, however, and walking down a pathway heavily bordered by English Ivy, I spied, peaking out from underneath the vegetation... the heel (and pritchel hole) of an anvil.

After asking for permission to perform an inspection (and expending no small amount of effort to clear the ivy!), I pulled out what is shown above.

The owner's response: "Hmmmmph! I had no idea THAT was there. I have no use for it, it's in the way. If you want it, take it - it's yours."

Free. Nada. Zilch. Mine for the taking...

As can be seen above, some of the ivy is still attached. It had been sitting there for goodness knows how long. Ants were crawling all around the back of my truck, and I didn't care. My prediction: it will clean up beautifully.

I'm leaving shortly to go buy some lottery tickets.

I'm feeling lucky :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Option a : work some hot metal on it to clean it up.

Option b : take a cup wheel on your grinder to it, slap some linseed oil (or wax) on it, then work some hot metal on it to finish cleaning up the face.

Looks like the edges are in good shape even. Unbelievable score! (well, almost)

Phil

I'm REALLY looking forward to cleaning up this anvil. My plan is to do so using electrolysis - the results achieved with it are simply quite amazing, and the labor component very low. The process is equal parts Witchcraft/Alchemy/Black Magic/Weird Science. I built a setup that I use regularly to clean hand tools and other smaller, rusty items, but I will definitely need to modify (enlarge!) my tank in order to accommodate the anvil.

For those who may be unfamiliar with what electrolysis can do, here are before and after photos of a common adjustable wrench I cleaned using the process:

post-27378-0-50703400-1348187311_thumb.jpost-27378-0-61307900-1348187322_thumb.j

One of the ways electrolysis truly excels is in cleaning areas that brushes and abrasives can't reach - nooks, crannies, corners, and inside of moving parts. The above wrench is a great example. The adjuster could be rusted up solid, and afterwards, it would move freely...

I'll be sure to document the restoration with plenty of photos, and give members step-by-step details on how it goes!

Phil, the only thing I'll need to do to accommodate the anvil is to increase the tank size; that's as easy as grabbing a plastic tote or tub big enough to accept it. And the job that electrolysis does on rusted metal is truly extraordinary... I'll post a series of before and after photos, and you be the judge!

Vaughn, I think you'd be astounded at what electrolysis could do for the blower on your forge. Last summer, I found a pocket knife on the beach, that was absolutely encrusted with rust - barely recognizable as a knife. You could have soaked it 'til the end-of-time, or brushed it 'til the cows came home, and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. After 24 hours in the tank (and a rinsing in the kitchen sink afterwards), that knife opened and closed with a snap! Was it as good as new? Heck no. The process can't repair damage (pitting) - but the corrosion was completely removed, and the parts "welded" together by rust were once again free to move independently. Each and every time I clean something like this, it feels like magic!! I never cease to be amazed...

A rust removal method that looks very easy, cheap (but possibly slower) is to use a molasses solution.

For example:

Basically you take a 1:10 or 1:20 solution of water & molasses, and immerse your rusted parts in it for a couple of days to a week. Then you take the part out of the liquid, and rinse, brush or pressure wash the rust off. Repeat if necessary.

There are many other YouTube videos showing how people do it.

I'm going to try the molasses on a rusty anvil I have, and I'll report back on the results when complete.

Markus

Despite my best intentions (and great desire) to play with my new anvil today, I didn't get much done. I did manage, however, to wrestle it out of the truck and into the back yard, and to take a few "before" photos of the markings:

post-27378-0-81661900-1348269785_thumb.jpost-27378-0-04025600-1348269795_thumb.jpost-27378-0-89200800-1348269806_thumb.j

I also found the designation "2 - 2", by the hole underneath the horn:

post-27378-0-83933700-1348269814_thumb.j

I never thought to look here on my other anvil, so I don't know if it's similarly marked. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Also grabbed a quick shot (in the dark) of the serial number:

post-27378-0-91917400-1348269821_thumb.j

All that I can definitively make out so far is "7229". It appears that there may be other leading numbers, but until the anvil's cleaned, it's hard to say.

One of the great advantages of electrolysis is it's ability to "uncover" impressed markings, so it should be a lot of fun to compare before-and-after results.

Thomas, in reply to your (rhetorical) questions:

a) I like all of my tools crisp, clean and in good working order (anvils included), and this one obviously NEEDED cleaning!

2) Electrolysis loosens and removes rust scale, leaving the "healthy", un-rusted metal beneath unaffected. In addition to saving labor, and doing a better job of cleaning, it yields (in my opinion) superior cosmetic results as well.

thirdly) I don't have enough other hobbies

Came home for lunch and took a couple of quick photos of the cleaning in process:

post-27378-0-92791800-1348506513_thumb.jpost-27378-0-32666800-1348506522_thumb.j

The light wan't the best, but you can get a fairly good idea of what's going on. After about 16 hours cooking in the tank, the heavy rust scale present on the surface just sloughs off, exposing the clean metal beneath. The rusty sediment is also clearly visible, resting at the bottom.

Because of the size of the piece, I will probably leave it in for another day or two before removing to check it's progress (it will likely be done by then). The good news is that you can't "over-clean" an item; when the rust is completely removed, it's done - sitting in the tank for a longer period has no effect.