I Forge Iron

blower operation

Perrin Aybarra

If your blower uses a universal motor then the throttle control will be fine with it and can help.

SOFA has foot control blowers on their shop forges that you have to keep pressure on to keep the air flowing---saves a lot of coal and steel for beginners as they can't switch it on and forget it! (they also have an over ride switch so you can get always on for things like billet welding.)

I am considering a click on and click off foot pedal. I can carry the steel to the fire and step on it to start the air and then when I return to take it off step on it to turn it back off. I often return the steel to the fire to heat and go pick and place the next tools etc. then my hands may be full and it means I leave the blower on when not necessary as my hands are occupied. Has anyone had any luck finding a foot switch like this? Of course I am looking for cheap if possible.

Moblacksmith: Radio Shack sells such a switch. You'd need to mount it in an enclosure and potentially solder the connections but they're pretty common.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049717&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032230

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12708877&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032230

If you go with the more expensive one, it'll likely last longer. Bear in mind that none of these are particularly heavy duty or dust proof. Mounting it hip height may work better so you can bump it on and off without it laying in the walk way.

I have a 200 CFM electric blower (squirrel cage fan) that I use with a Harbor Freight foot-operated on-off switch. That part seems to work well.

I found that my blower blows too hard, at least with a new fire (it'll blow coal out of the firepot) so I rigged a pivoting "lollipop" of sheet metal that I can adjust to partially cover the air intake of the fan, to regulate the amount of air blowing.