I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron Letter Opener

I was playing around, today, and decided to use some of the wrought iron that I have for a project. This started out as 1" X 1" wrought iron bar. After I forged it out and cleaned up the blade with a sanding disc, I mixed 50/50 muriatic acid and water in a quart jar and soaked just the blade portion for one hour. I wasn't sure if that would be long enough. But it turned out OK. after nuetralizing the acid in baking soda and water then washing in clean water, I let it dry and sprayed the blade with clear coat. It had started to rust in just about 20 minutes, before I sprayed it. :) Sorry for the glare on the blade. These are the best of about six pics that I took. Let me know what you think.

post-1549-0-39425900-1347236904_thumb.jp post-1549-0-55888500-1347236935_thumb.jp

"Consultation Fee"??!!!! I thought that you were giving me info out of the kindness of your heart. :ph34r: LOL. Thanks for the technical assistance, Brother. :) And thanks for the comments, Bigfoot and Frosty.

And you better know it was exactly that, given info from the kindness of my heart :P :D

Call again anytime!
Stan

So melt a little brazing rod in the screwed up area and charge more for the "mixed metals"...

"charging more for mixed metals" would sure justify paying for a Henrob real fast!!!! (Run that 1 by Kathy) :rolleyes:

Similar to selling a vase in 1 area, or as a higher priced "vaz" in other markets, or as a "vessel form" in the highest price range! B) :ph34r:

Same piece, just different marketing strategy used for higher return on investment!

OK Thomas. I finally had the chance to forge another letter opener from the wrought iron and I etched it, including the handle. I like it. I etched it for two hours. Then, after neutralizing and wiping dry, I oiled it down with mineral oil. Then wiped off the oil. Here's a few pics of how it turned out. I had trouble keeping the glare down. And YES Stan, I did have my hat on!! :ph34r: :lol:

post-1549-0-34833600-1347915223_thumb.jp post-1549-0-02799500-1347915241_thumb.jp post-1549-0-15544000-1347915264_thumb.jp post-1549-0-36325600-1347915274_thumb.jp

Yep. Just plain wrought iron. I started with a 1"X1" square bar. On the second one I drew it down to 3/8" square and cut it 8" long. Then forged to shape. Thomas Powers suggested trying to etch the complete opener instead of just the blade, like I did on the first one. I like the results. I have a demo/camp coming up in a couple of weeks and I plan on having several of these made up and etched ahead of time. We'll see how well they sell. :)