I Forge Iron

Question on a pedastal grinder

matto

When you say the shaft is 1.25" - 1.5" you aren't talking about the diameter are you? The shaft diameter is more telling for possible motor size than length.

If there's a guard on it it's diameter will be an indicator though not precise. Still, close is generally good enough just over power it a LITTLE.

Can you read a serial number? Serial# and model#s should be searchable gold.

Frosty the Lucky.

i am saying that the shaft is 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick and the shaft is 3 to four foot long. it came from my wifes great grand dads black smith shop. he ran it off a line shaft. i was thinking a 3/4 horse motor but i am stumped on what type of belt to use with the flat pulley on the shaft and what size of pulley to use on the motor.

This is as far as I've gotten with mine....I pressed off the old flat belt pulley and mounted a double (a single would do fine) 5'' bush/bore I've had kicking around for years.........If I want it to turn at say 800rpm I'd put a pulley about half that diameter on a 1725 rpm motor.........

post-15096-0-26860200-1346985071_thumb.j

PLEASE be very careful of that thing! One of those with a multi horse motor is indeed a widow maker!

I worked with a professional swordmaker and he built an *UNDER POWERED* buffer as a safety item---if things went bad he could clamp down on a blade and choke the motor down rather than it throwing a yard long sword through the shop!

Look at the safety posts on anvilfire under the I-forge section Paw Paw Wilson cracked his skull wire brushing a small hook using a much much smaller system.

There was a reason that many people didn't live till 65 in the "old days" and things like that play a part!

• 3 weeks later...

PLEASE be very careful of that thing! One of those with a multi horse motor is indeed a widow maker!

I worked with a professional swordmaker and he built an *UNDER POWERED* buffer as a safety item---if things went bad he could clamp down on a blade and choke the motor down rather than it throwing a yard long sword through the shop!

Look at the safety posts on anvilfire under the I-forge section Paw Paw Wilson cracked his skull wire brushing a small hook using a much much smaller system.

There was a reason that many people didn't live till 65 in the "old days" and things like that play a part!

I would agree with that comment

Be very careful with these things. I'm always very conscious on how tight a V belt is irrespective of the motor Hp. Always allow some slippage, flat belt is ideal although a V belt works fine too if the tension is set correctly. Let the grind stone tell you what it wants to do when working it rather than loading it up and stalling it.

It's a rotating grinding stone at the end of the day so you can never tell if there's a fracture within the make up of the stone itself. You can even have a brand new stone that could destroy itself because it may have fallen on a hard surface before an install unbeknownst to the user causing a stress fracture, always treat them with an air of suspicion and keep the guards in place preferably the ones that completely surround the stone leaving only a working window visible. Oh and mind the eyes, you've only the one pair!

One more safety call on those big stones. DO NOT EXCEED THE RATED SPEED!!!!!!!!!!! There was a thread on here about a year ago about someone killed at an industrial forge from a large wheel exploding. Sam Safety Sally Salvati had an old sandstone wheel explode on him and it made a mess in his shop and would have hurt him badly had it hit him.

I'm gonna mirror what Thomas and other have said. I have used these grinders. 12 x 2 wheels on a 3 horse motor (double " B " belt fully enclosed). About 2" of wheel exposed only. 7 guage side guards fully enclosing the wheels and large plate rests to grind on. this was in my mentors shop.

Problem is, when you get your wheels shipped, you do not know if they were dropped and when you fire it up, you may have catastrophic failure. Gilmour used this grinder for years and kept it dressed. He DID speak of the dangers but used it till the end.

Please use caution.