I Forge Iron

Grill fork

GRiley904

Here is a couple pics of my fork. It's not pretty, but like the steak turner it taught me allot. It's got hammer marks, hammers aren't dressed, and my channel locks scared up the end where the twist is. I was having trouble forging the tines but a break and a new approach fixed that. One tine is slightly longer than the other because I looked away for a moment and burnt the tip off. Truthfully I almost gave up and sent this one to the scrap pile but I'm glad I didn't. All I know for sure is I'm absolutely in love with the craft and will never stop persuading hot metal to do my bidding

post-22734-0-68505100-1346772612_thumb.j

post-22734-0-13831400-1346772692_thumb.j

post-22734-0-18917300-1346773009_thumb.j

post-22734-0-49318300-1346773108_thumb.j

10 blacksmiths, 10 answers. :P

Sometimes I hacksaw, sometimes I hot cut. Bigger stuff, sometimes I use the chopsaw. Regardless, I heat bloody hot and fold one tine back. Forge the other by pointing first. I use the holes in the anvil for length references. One other thing, I use a piece of bar stock that has been ground on the end to drive into the crotch of the fork ( yes I have 1/4x1, 3/8x1 and 1/2 x1 to use). I call them radius tools and have written on them with a paint marker. They have holes drilled in them to hang form the table. I also have these in trailer shop box(es). These tools allow me to have a nice smooth transition from tine to tine. This action is of course done in the vise HOT. I have found that doing fork work at lower temps can cause problems (ok final slapping to even up is ok at lower temps sometimes). Will see if I can find and post a pic.

Your fork looks very nice for a first time. Keep it up.

I might add that when you drive the radius tool into the fork, you should use care. Slipping and driving a red (at least) hot sharp tine into your hand is distracting to say the least.

Edit, the pic shows the smooth crotch on the fork (which is made from 3/4 COLD rolled and is about 4 feet long)

post-25-0-73619500-1346885262_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good job.

From your initial description, you can quickly eliminate two of your challenges:

1. Dress your hammer.

2. Forge some tongs.

I have found that eliminating the frustration of sub-standard tools is half the battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice fork, I see it was tested with hotdogs. i had built a firepit in the back yard and decided to makes some nice roasting forks to go along with it. I tested mine on marshmallows. The first roasted marshmallow i tried to get off the fork with my mouth was the last. There are a lot of nerve endings in your lips apparantly. It provided an awful lot of entertainment for my family. It was also the last time I did that. The forks are now just for hotdogs and brauts.

Fred

Thank you all for your comments. Fred that is a pretty funny story, I'll be sure not to touch it to my lips. Ten hammers I'm sure I will make plenty and learn from each and every one. Ten hammers, David, Camero your praise means allot to me, in fact all praise means allot to me. Makes me feel warm inside and gives me motivation to keep going, not that I would stop, ever thank you all very much.