I Forge Iron

The Peddinghaus I got is SO NICE and SO NEW I decided it needed it's own custom dedicated brand new stand, so I have been taking evenings and fabricating one. Kept it s the horn protrudes over the edge for extra free space when bending big things around it, plus extra stability over the 2 legs, Added a little tray for holding things like punches, lube can, chisels and rivets and stuff, with a hammer ring and a bending fork/tool holder out the other end. I would have liked to use something more substantial then 1/4" plate but that's what I had, hence the gusset, and figured I would ridgidize the whole thing with gussets all over. I want to add more tooling rings, and some made special for specific tools. I need to add some wood or perhaps some G10 slabs under the anvil to cushion things and also adjust the height perfectly, then figure out how I want to anchor it to the stand so as to be easily removed for transport, I want to do something cool and mechanical.

251465_4518456250444_1957753950_n.jpg

375954_4518456010438_1222610910_n.jpg

546725_4518455810433_7858582_n.jpg

207173_4518455610428_349574888_n.jpg

294562_4518455410423_1601550974_n.jpg

394377_4518454970412_1214138012_n.jpg

thats wicked sam! love how you decorated it - and the bending fork/tool holder and tray its all very cute and the anvil looks a treasure :) i ook forward to seeing your cool and mechanical anchor device...

what/who is/are safety sally and what is she/they keeping that you dont want ? :)... i just really want to know that...

Thanks!!!

Dan, it should be easy to beef it up, but with the wood it should be fine.

Beth a "Safety Sally" is a weak-ish, nervous type who is more obsessed with safety then with actually doing something, and feels compelled to comment to others about they're safety. Usually a step above "woobees" but a step below "armchair professionals" :D :D LOL They are different from those that actually care, and feel they are performing some sort of "duty" to someone.

It was mentioned on another forum to use big wing nuts like Hofi makes and I think that is PERFECT.

I had not heard of the safety sally's. I am currently working at a site on my full time job and they are safety freaks, Way beyond practical safety, I won't go into the details but I dubbed them safety witches in my mind. They are working very hard to justify their existence and the management is supporting it. I had to have the plant electrician disconnect the power and it took him over an hour to mark out the work area and put up all the safety gear for a five minute job. A spotter to keep traffic away would have served the same function and would have saved them at least 45 minutes of labor. Oh well they are paying my company over 100 per hour to have me stand around I guess I can't complain.

Nice work Sam! 3 legs is the future, even a 4 leg stand only really ever sits on 3 unevenly! I saw a hofi anvil on the 3 leg stand at a BABA event a few years ago and was very impressed at the simplicity, usability and stability of the design.

Is (was) the anvil a virgin ? she looks a nice little lump!

Nice stand.

My term for 'Safety Sally' is 'The Sphincter Police.' So worried about what they perceive to be unsafe conditions that they never actually get anything done.

Absolutely NOT knocking safety. Just against taking it to such an extreme that you can't do anything without approval from a Senate Subcommitee.

MOBlacksmith, that's the types!

Bionicarm, yeah might not be, can always beef it up or straighten it out then weld in more gussets :D

John for sure!!! Well put, 4 legs makes things seem bigger too, which in my shop is nonono hehe. She is either a virgin or very lightly used, the fella I traded it to said it was his grampa's, and also that he had it blanchard ground top and bottom to so it has been resurfaced a bit.

PE I like that hehe. Safety Sally's in my mind are the same but press they're "ideals" on others.

That's some good-looking work, Sam. I particularly like the near-vertical angle to the legs (idea officially stolen for the stand I'm making!).

For securing the anvil, I'm opting for a threaded coupling nut (or regular nut) welded to the base and a beefy bolt that I've ground a shallow point on. The bolt bites into the base as it pushes the anvil back against a stop welded to the base. With a 2' breaker-bar, I can put some serious torque on that bolt!!