I Forge Iron

Vice jaws Temper

tecnovist

Hi ...I have stated to make jaws for some vices i am rebuilding... making them from some old files I have Annealed in lime then cut drilled and fitted to the Vice.... I need to know what the best way and or Temperature to temper them at ??? Also some one said that this can be done in some type of mud dos any one know about this technique?

Thanks for any info

• 6 months later...

Files are a water quenching steel.
They are either W-1 or W-2 steel which has a very high carbon content, over 1 percent.
With that said, do not quench your vise jaws in water.
Quench them in oil to harden them.
After the jaws have been hardened turn your kitchen oven up to 375 degrees and put the jaws in the oven.
Let them soak in your oven for 2 or 3 hours.
Your jaws should now be hard enough to resist abrasion and filing somewhat, and be tough enough to make good vise jaws.

Files make xxxxxx good knives too.

I'm not qualified to answer your question, tecnovist, but be patient, somebody will come along here soon. I believe that files are usually 1095. As for tempering, I don't know why you would want to temper vice jaws, I would think you would want to leave them tough.

Hardening the jaws makes them very hard but very brittle as well.
By putting the jaws in the oven for 2 or 3 hours you remove some of the hardness and this makes your jaws less brittle.
If you don't do this tempering you risk the jaws breaking at a later date.
Files are made from W-1 or W-2.
Beware though there are junk files made in China that are surface hardened only.
If you use those they won't harden.
1095 is actually classed as a spring steel, even though it has a high carbon level aproaching 1 percent.
I use it mixed with 203-E nickel alloy to make my Damascus steel..

Thanks Conan_568 -thats the type of info i am looking for---((kitchen oven up to 375 degrees))-------- is that 375 degree C or F ??

Rich Hale Hi ---JohnW Hi
thank you both for your info
they may work as they are, but I think they will be a bit soft...

--I have Annealed in lime then drilled and counter sunk them-------I have make them from some old --files---------- The vice had no jaws when i rebuilt them from scrap parts I have about 6 vices needing jaws and finishing--- old FILES I have enouth of--::o:mad: :o have you priced vice jaws these days ---

new files you buy at the hardware stores and such are usually 1095, industrial quality files that you can special order are 10105 as are the files from yesteryear. they are commonly referred to as 95 point files and 105 point files. I learned this from a seminar put on by one of the suppliers at a Blacksmith Convention years ago.

Just turn the oven up to 375 or 400 and you should be fine.
Put the jaws in there for a few hours and then either let them cool or put them in water.
I just checked and most files are 1095 which could be why they make good knives.
I'm glad you fellows pointed that out it gives me another source for that steel.

You must draw the temper back and it is Fahrenheit not celsius.
The jaws should come out of your oven a straw color or darker, which will leave it fairly hard, but not so brittle.
You can go to 450 if you want tougher jaws and 325 to 400 for very hard jaws.
I don't know where you got the figures you show, but if I tempered my knives at 900 degrees they wouldn't hold an edge at all.

Several years ago, I found a leg vise which had heavily damaged jaw faces. Not wanting to spend a lot of time on it, I clamped two old files between the faces and MIG welded all around the edges - top, bottom and sides. That much welding drew the high hardness out of the files. I sanded most of the teeth off with a right angle grinder and put it to work. The jaw faces are parallel at full closed position and hold as well as any other leg vise with factory jaws.

Well I'd go with soft jaws to hold the pieces I was working on and not mar them as much. I'd rather dress the *replaceable* jaws every so often than to have to deal with the scars on my workpiece.

I have one postvise that has a severe checkering on the jaws that I have covered over with plain mild steel sheet metal caps.

Files have several different alloys; the old Black Diamond---before they have the nicholson stamp on them were supposed to be 1.2%C (I hoard them for billets that need a carbon boost) Some of the modern imports from asia seem to be case hardened as the surface sloughs off when you work them. So sparktest them against known standards to guess what they really are for a particular piece.