I Forge Iron

how to convert breast drill to bench drill

Ok i have old breast drill but i released that i will have more pover if i convert it to bench drill and by the way i have some vice . and i think i can make the vice hold object and drill to make hole in steel.IF i convert my breast drill can i drill a steel i can drill a wood with my drill but iam need to drill iron or steel.

Sure, but it's hard to say how much trouble converting your drill into a drill press. They may not be available in your neighborhood but in the US you can buy a bench drill press converter that clamps a hand drill to a lever driven base. I have one and it works well enough within it's limits.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stay under 6mm, 1/4 inch and you should drill mild steel fine. Drilling smaller holes may actually be harder because of breaking the fine drill bits.

Set yourself up so you have a leaning post and make sure the drill is always cutting if it is turning in the hole. If the drill is turning, but not cutting, then you can work harden the steel and it will be much harder to restart your hole. You can add chalk powder or baking soda (from the kitchen) to the hole with a little oil to restart the hole if you work harden and it MIGHT start cutting again.

You might be able to drill 3/8 or 1/2 inch holes, 10mm or 13mm, maybe. If you step drill, drill a smaller hole, then drill a larger hole, then a larger hole you might be able to drill a fairly large hole, but you will have to work for it. You need a large enough increase in hole size so the drill cannot jam in the hole. For 1/2 inch I would go 1/4, 3/8, 1/2...so 6mm, 10mm, 13mm.

When you get your forge running you can hot punch bigger holes.

Look for an electric, or large manual drill press and an electric handheld drill.

Phil

A book that I would recommend for your consideration is:

40 Power Tools You Can Make (Woodworking Classics Revisited) [Paperback]
Linden Publishing (Author)
“Originally published by Popular Mechanics in 1941, this classic manual is a testament to the ingenuity and dedication of American craftsmen. The collected projects, written by various craftsmen, demonstrate how to build a 10-inch thickness planer, a “swing saw” (or cut-off saw), and a hand-built hydraulic press, in addition to drill presses, jigsaws, sanders, bending brakes, band saws, a wood lathe, and many other useful machines. All of these machines are built with simple and highly available materials, and every project is accompanied by the original instructions, illustrations, and measured drawings. In addition, this vintage reprint offers its readers a unique look into a period in American history—when materials and labor were stretched thin, and American craftsmen were forced to “bootstrap” solutions out of the bare essentials available to them.” http://www.amazon.co...l you can build

· Paperback: 96 pages
· Publisher: Linden Publishing; Reprint edition (December 1, 2008)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1933502207
· ISBN-13: 978-1933502205
· Product Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 0.2 inches