I Forge Iron

new anvil

What country are you in? Does your anvil have any handling holes? Does it have a depression on the bottom and if so what does it look like? Does the R stand out or is it punched into the side of the anvil? Any signs of it being a traditionally made anvil---forge welding seams, applied face, etc?

The R standing out means the anvil is cast (or partially cast)

If the face is a step that is larger than the body, then it is likely cast with a false plate, likely cast iron because false plates are not commonly used on solid steel, or steel faced anvils...but without pictures it is difficult to tell.

Phil

Yeah that looks like a very nice anvil. If you can, some pictures with better lighting would be much appreciated, ie base, waist at all four sides, feet(front and back), sides, etc. Some of us who use anvils are also students of them and a new type of one(at least to me) like yours would provide much valuable info. Is there any other markings that you can see? does the base (underside) have a ridge along its edges? There were only a few cast steel anvil makers in the US so this could be valuable from an info standpoint. Thanks

Yes, I was thinking of those. I couldn't view images and I forgot that he had the 2 'R's on his anvils instead of 1. I guess it's a moot point since the anvil punch bought is very different from the Renato anvils.

I have spoken to the German journeyman blacksmith who has his original anvil that Renato modelled his 630ish pound German pattern after. This man vouched that Renato makes some very nice anvils.

It actualy weighs 300 pounds,dropped a 3/4 ball bearing from 10 inches bounced back 8

Nice rebound! At 300# you won't need to look for a larger anvil. You may want to look for an 80#-150# anvil for travel if you start doing shows. How do you plan to mount it?

Phil