I Forge Iron

Folks need to do a little reserch sometimes before they pay for something.

Now first off, Im not making fun of anyone or poking at the seller..The seller has ntohing to do with the ammount these things sell for..Heres a Greene & mengel hardy cone..You can see what the bid is (right now almost $140)
link removed
You can still buy this cone brand new here for $107..
link removed
Ive seen this same thing happen on ebay several times..People end up paying 50% more(or more still) for a tool thinking its collectable or unavailable without looking into it..A 30 second google search on this item would have put you in a new one..

Yep, seen that dozens of times and laugh a little every time.

My best is stopping at a local pawn shop and looking at all the Chicago Electric tools priced the same as NEW Dewalt or Milwaukee tools! (I stoped at the local pawn shops looking for cheap tools. The trip provided comic relief instead)

Phil

I have to admit that I bought a Roger Lorance swage block for close to full price at $200... New they are $208 plus shipping.. :blink: :wacko:

I had little knowledge of swage blocks at that time. I did know that $360 for the 300# Fisher anvil from the same guy was a good deal though! :ph34r: <_<... The funny thing was he had a cone mandrel for $100 that I was kicking myself at the time for passing up since it had a small 3/4" shank. LOL :(

Another offering on EBay that needs research. American Civil War cannon wheels were 57" in diameter and 190 pounds each (reference are the various Ordnance Manuals of that time period). What is shown in the auction are common farm wagon wheels.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec0c9e413

And another one. Artillery ammo was carried in large limber chests not little strong boxes...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSA-Confederate-Civil-War-Artillery-Ammo-Strong-Box-/370585401284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56489c77c4

I have to admit that I bought a Roger Lorance swage block for close to full price at $200... New they are $208 plus shipping.. :blink: :wacko:

I had little knowledge of swage blocks at that time. I did know that $360 for the 300# Fisher anvil from the same guy was a good deal though! :ph34r: <_<... The funny thing was he had a cone mandrel for $100 that I was kicking myself at the time for passing up since it had a small 3/4" shank. LOL :(

You didnt overpay for the block, you got it cheaper than new and without shipping..You still saved money.. B)
These folks paid $80 over new price for an item that can still be bought new..Id say the word "rare" probably shouldent be used when something is still in production and available to order 24 hours a day..