I Forge Iron

Nice to meet ya'll

blademaker

Just wanted to introduce myself, since I'm new here on these forums. I'm a knifemaker, living on the Alabama Gulf Coast near Mobile. I make all sorts of knives, but tend to focus on Scagel style knives, and historically-inspired pieces like trade knives and mountain-man style "primitve", or buckskinner knives. I forge my blades, as opposed to using stock removal methods. At any rate, I'm glad to be here, and look forward to meeting everybody who wants to say "hi". Peace....

Blademaker,
I welcome you to IFI.
This is a good place to be for a person who is "Hopelessly addicted to making knives, and sharp pointy stuff"We have world class knife makers who make frequent visits to IFI via the forum, Tuesday night live Blueprint presentation, or the chat room.
Now you are one of them (us). I hope you will enjoy you association with IFI.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Thanks for the feedback, ya'll. I'm really looking forward to some of the events here on this site, and to meeting other like-minded folks who love making art and magic out of red-hot metal. I've browsed some of the galleries here, as well as a few personal sites, and I am absolutely blown-away by the work I've seen in some of the photos! There are some really talented folks on this forum. Thanks again for the warm welcome:D
Glenn - to answer your question, I stick mainly to 5160 and O1. The reason is that both are such good steels to work with. I started out with them because that's what I had, and have just sort of always gravitated back to them. I started using 1080 and 1095 once in a while, because I like the way they show a hamon line when clay-quenched. The 5160 seems harder to put a hamon on than those 2. Haven't tried clay-quenching with 01 yet... I recently got 2 large buckets of old Nicholson files (big ones) from a laminate countertop fabricating shop, and will start working with those eventually. I make damascus from 1084 and 15n20. I've also recently started making mokume gane from copper and brass, and from quarters. The first experiments went pretty well, so I've ordered some casting granules of silver and gold, and am going to make some "real" mokume in the next few weeks. I'll post pics when the stuff is finished (provided it's a success:D ). Ya'll have a good evening!