I Forge Iron

Ancient russian axe update

Some of my latest axes. Kiev 10 AD. Weights 800 g and 450 g/ Pure forging. No grinding involved apart from filing the edge a bit which carbonised for 10 hours givivng 1 percent of carbon 4 mm deep.

The handles are self wedged (as on my hammers).

post-12722-0-08914800-1343394410_thumb.j

post-12722-0-36718000-1343394654_thumb.j

post-12722-0-29288800-1343394681_thumb.j

post-12722-0-29743900-1343394707_thumb.j

post-12722-0-75620000-1343394743_thumb.j

post-12722-0-55953800-1343394780_thumb.j

post-12722-0-13145000-1343394826_thumb.j

It is nice to see a traditional "as forged" finish that looks so professional. To many new smiths think that an "as forged" finish can be covered in pits, hammer marks, and scale. I applaud you for doing it the correct way, and with exemplary results.

It is nice to see a traditional "as forged" finish that looks so professional. To many new smiths think "as forged finish" can be covered in pits, hammer marks, and scale. I applaud you for doing it the correct way, and with exemplary results.

Thank you!

Took me some time (more than 10 years) to get this axe done in a way I seen the origial ones and fell in love with them. I still cannot think of a better axe shape to practice forging skills.

You are right about "as forged". Forging has to be as clean as possible to give the proper look. The results depend on the experince and skills and are infinite. However I still think grinding is even worse since it kills the forged object . What I hate most when people try give this rough foged look and actually hammer the surface after grinding or even arc welding. I can see a lot of this imitation now . It is not right. We need to keep the art of forging pure. It deserves it.

Can you show what the piece looks like when you start, or a few pictures showing how the shape progresses.
Also, can you briefly describe the case hardening process. I understand the temperature must be maintained for many hours. Do you keep the piece in a clay pot with animal hooves or leather or ?
Very beautiful work!

Can you show what the piece looks like when you start, or a few pictures showing how the shape progresses.
Also, can you briefly describe the case hardening process. I understand the temperature must be maintained for many hours. Do you keep the piece in a clay pot with animal hooves or leather or ?
Very beautiful work!

I will do some pictures when make another one.

The carbonisation process is not something complicated. You sharpen the blade and make a kind of case from tin iron. Then put there crushed charcoal (like powder) mixed with baking soda as catalizer (just a pinch). Then stick the blade into the coal and cover the whole thing with clay . After that put in the fire (just ordinary wood open fire possibly made on your forge) and keep adding fire wood for minimum 6 hours so that your piece constantly glows light red. Switch the blower from time to time to boost the process.

Dancho,
Thanks. keeping the heat up is quite a task. Not technical but requires your attention for several hours. Really beautiful work.
Pardon my ignorance of geography but is Kiev Russia or Ukraine? I enjoy your work!
ty

Kiev is now the capital of Ukraine. It was the center and beginning of Kiev Rus in 10 AD which also included Moscow and other eastern slavic territories. Later (in 13-14 century due to Monol invasion ) the center moved north- east to Moscow and the entity bacame known as Russia.

Dancho,
Thanks. keeping the heat up is quite a task. Not technical but requires your attention for several hours.

Not really. You can do something else at the same time. Just keep adding firewood every 20 minutes or so.

Dancho,
My grandfather was from the Kiev area so that just makes your work more interesting. He was not a blacksmith. His parents sent him to the US because he gambled and drank too much when he was young.
Your picture shows you in your shop. What kind of a structure are you in? Is that a building ? It almost looks like a tent.

Dancho,
My grandfather was from the Kiev area so that just makes your work more interesting. He was not a blacksmith. His parents sent him to the US because he gambled and drank too much when he was young.
Your picture shows you in your shop. What kind of a structure are you in? Is that a building ? It almost looks like a tent.

I work in a teepee. Quite a big one -- 7 metres in diameter. This is the most inspiring smithy I ever worked in. Fits well my approach to stay light and blend with the environment.

dancho - so beautiful :) wonderful shapes youve made - i realise that this is a periphery point to some, but integral to me. they look as fabulous as im sure they function. your absolutely right about the purity too - and also about grinding, i do this horrid thing myself, and then i wonder why i feel so sad and dissapointed! its becasue it is killed and the life i put in with the fire and the hammer has been electrically smoothed away to total blandness. it takes skill predominantly, and courage to leave the work raw. it is encouraging to hear someone speaking as you do. beautiful heart felt work - i particularly like the last photo :) like iron clothing.

o :) like iron clothing.

Thank you Beth! You always get the very idea better than me ! Iron clothing... Well said. This is what I like much in that design -- the freedom and integrity of the wood handle being not destroed by wedge and carefully and respectfully and skillfully wrapped by iron. It holds firmly but you can take away the handle and replace for longer one to do other job. This apartdness and togetherness at the same time. Something wise in it, huh?

yes dancho - something very gentle and wise - an amazing thing really. ive thought about that a bit this afternoon - when something is Right, every part and aspect of it is right, and the fact that the tool maker is like you said, respectful and careful, and the tool can be conservative of its other parts, is complex in one way, but very simple and obvious in another. its interesting that you use the word freedom, a fabulous/important word :) and i think your dead right, it is very freeing (not to be confused with easy! ) a relief , even, to do something in this manner, with absolute honesty to the materials. this is not always easy to do sculpturally (i always feel i need to draw the paralel with art - its the same thing ) this practise is something i think about and attempt a lot of the time! and with many years of trying, this water starts to become a bit clearer!! - but it is Certainly to be strived for in all areas of life! :) blacksmithing truths, like all the best practises, can be applied universally :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dancho,
Two more beautiful axes. What have you done to the surface to clean up the scale. It looks like it was cleaned up with a wire wheel. You dont use electricity so is this filework/sand paper or ?
Thanks for showing your work.

chichi
I found that wire wheel pruduces a too uniform surface which tends to be just bright rather than emphasizing the inherent beauty of REAL HAND FORGED surface. Not to mention any kind of mechanic grinding which kills everything.

A file for the edge sharpening (before hardening) and sand paper by hands for the rest of the body (starting from 40-60 grit and then 180-200) is what I prefer. It is pretty quick -- 10 minutes and done. Hands (fingers) are the best -- they go into the cavities and follow the shape.

I do use electricity actually. My
blower for the char coal forge takes some 30 Watts. The LED lights in the forge another 10 Watts if dark outside. But mostly audio system (100 Watts). Need proper sound when forging
Thank you and everybody for the response!

• 3 months later...