I Forge Iron

Ancient russian axe update

dancho these are so beautiful! to me they look like works of art - i expect i am missing the point, as usual :) beautiful beautiful beautiful tactile functional items :) made with integrity :) I am intrigued to see surface design - is this a first for you? i like it very much, it personalise the tools...

On March 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM, beth said:

dancho these are so beautiful! to me they look like works of art - i expect i am missing the point, as usual :) beautiful beautiful beautiful tactile functional items :) made with integrity :) I am intrigued to see surface design - is this a first for you? i like it very much, it personalise the tools...

Thanks Beth!

I just got tired from this sunless cold snowy winter and wanted to do some blacksmith magic to call the sun in :)/.  Thats's how these solar decorations appeared.  xxxx,  it didn't work...  Hope I sell these for more money at least...

dancho i think that is why i liked them so much - it gave me some hope for some light and warmth!!! as also So tired from lack of sun. make more axes - your just not working hard enough... ;) i think you will sell these for good money :) best of luck!

• 4 months later...

The ancient russian axe with   carving blade.   Weight 800 g.   Blade width 140 mm.   Butt width 120 mm.   Body mild steel .   Edge is split weld with 0.9 % C steel.  Pure forging.   No grinding involved

Replaceble self-wedged handles (not shown) of different length

post-12722-0-81006100-1375433041_thumb.j

post-12722-0-75261400-1375433058_thumb.j

I like it Dancho, it has the look of a tool someone who was more interested in it's function would own.

Who and what time period would this be from?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you!

The period is around 9-10-11 centuries AD.   Area -- Eastern Europe (Slavic and Baltic tribes).

This one I made has no specific prototype  -   I made It for my friend who is into bushcraft axe carving.    He was with me while I made it and he guided the the process very much. That's why the long sharp nose appeared and curved pretty wide edge (for it's modest weight).   So this is purely functional thing. The closest original is here.post-12722-0-20977800-1375470005_thumb.j

Another addtion to the ancient prototype is the oval eye  since the majority of them had pure round or thick egg.   My friend wanted it since he feels more comfortable with oval cross section rather then round one.post-12722-0-61775700-1375470555_thumb.j

Basicly what still makes this axe belonging to this specific family is the charactestic long butt (mustaches) and quite wide neck from the top and narrow from the side. 

The mustaches I made here are the longest I ever made -- 120 mm.   I drawn them to even 140 mm fist but had to upsett for the butt to be no wider then the blade.   Still good experiment...

The change to the modern shaped eye is surly practical, it is a stronger, more secure handle and fits the hand better. Certainly the customer's choice and I think a good one.

I love the term "Mustaches" and they look well on the profile. I can see this as a commoners brush axe with, perhaps, a little Dane or Viking influence.

I like it a lot. thank you for sharing your work.

As a bit of personal side note, I get a little thrill, (kick is the American term) out of having a Carpathian friend. It just puts a smile on my face.

Frosty The Lucky.