I Forge Iron

280# of scrap, forge design ideas?

Words

Okay, people. Listen up. The people upstairs handed us this one and we gotta come through. We gotta find a way to make this… fit into the hole for this… using nothing but that.

Ok Apollo 13 aside, I was in an overwhelmingly large scrap metal yard looking for just a brake drum and I ran across this HEAVY wheel. I think it was for a Bobcat or some heavy machinery. Its face is shallower on one side and it looked perfect to make a brake drum forge into a big brake drum forge. I was thinking of finding someone to help me weld the drum on to the bottom of the wheel (deeper side) and hooking up some piping to the bottom. Does anyone have any other suggestions on putting this together? Maybe some different materials that you would find and use? Also, how should the holes and ventilation gaps be plugged up?

post-26025-0-45351300-1342901100_thumb.j

Honestly, that's one heck of an overkill forge! You could very easily line it with fire-cement (portland and sand) and form a fire pot at the same time you're closing up all those holes.

But, a 200# forge? That's going to be a bear to move if you ever needed to, and it doesn't really serve any purpose. Yea, you got the kit to do it, but I'd be more tempted to use that heavy chunk of iron as a stand base for a vice or as a forming tool/swage block. In both of those cases, the weight is an advantage.

I see, portability would definitely be an issue so I guess I'll find a barrel for the brake drum to sit in as per the 55 forge design. I don't know why I got so excited about that huge wheel, for some reason I felt that I really needed it. Oh well, I can definitely see it as a stand base but how would use it as a forming tool/swage block?

Well, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was to use it as a form to make the outer circle for trivets. A lot of folks use cast iron weight plates for just this kind of thing. You could also use the curvature to help form other bends, like bowls in copper or tin.

I definitely know what you mean about metal calling to you. I see something like that and I automatically start thinking about how I could use it... and it just has to come home with me. Might take me ten years before I actually use it, but at least it's in my scrap pile and not on a ship bound for some chinese foundry!

I definitely know what you mean about metal calling to you. I see something like that and I automatically start thinking about how I could use it... and it just has to come home with me. Might take me ten years before I actually use it, but at least it's in my scrap pile and not on a ship bound for some chinese foundry!

i have found my people..... i...i love you guys...sniff sniff.....

Turn it opening down and use it as a base for tools such as a vise, grinder, table, etc. Bolt a plate to the holes and weld to the plate. To move the tool, tip and roll. Otherwise it should stay where you put it.

I had one student go wild and build a forge from a semi brake drum---first he found it was way too deep to get any but the end of his stock into the hot spot. Then he filled it with dirt to move the tuyere up and found it too heavy to move and ended up abandoning it when he moved.