I Forge Iron

Hammer Help!

jw223

Hi guys! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. I've seen a lot of nice stuff posted lately!
Now my question- is this hot weather killing anyone else's hammer handles? Since I have an outdoor shop, my hammers are exposed to temperature extremes. They aren't in the rain, snow, etc, but they do see the temperatures. Lately, even my store bought hammers are getting a little loose feeling on the handles. This is the first year I ever noticed a problem with them. Is their a fix besides re-handling? I thought about soaking the heads in some linseed oil to get some moisture back in the wood, but I don't know if this will be an actual fix or a band aid. Any advice would definitely be appreciated!

This is a fact of life. Handles are usually made of wood. Wood is not as strong as iron in its capacity as a handle for a hammer. Weather also influences wood quite a bit more than steel. People have soked handles in water, oil, and anti freeze for a quick fix, and I have, too. But if you want a proper hammer, install a proper handle in a proper hammer. Learning how to make, use, and maintain tools is one of the most rewarding things about being a blacksmith.

Don't know what you are at---but when I moved from Ohio USA to New Mexico USA and the humidity went from often in the 89's and 90's to often in the single digits I had to reset every hammer and wood handled tool I own---over 100 on the hammer/tool rack!

The trick with the linseed oil is to reset the head and then soak it to prevent any changes after it's tight. I don't think it causes the wood to swell like water does. I took a shallow brownie pan and set up batches of hammers to soak until the oil showed above the head/handle line and they've been going strong.

Soaking the hammers in water will make them tight but leads to worse loosening as the wood gets crushed from the expansion and when it drys out again it's even looser.

it's been my experience that if you go from a dry environment with a properly set handle to a more humid environment there is no problem. But if you go from a humid environment to a drier one there is a problem with the handles drying out and getting loose. I double wedge my hammers and have not had a problem with extreme heat as the humidity in Michigan doesn't change that much. Try inserting a second wedge and see if that helps....I don't recommend soaking in anything.

I've never found a fiberglass handle that felt really good to me, but they would certainly be easier on upkeep.

With wood handles, the drop in humidity can make them loosen right up. To fix that, I put the handles in a shallow pan with linseed oil that's been thinned down with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. Thinning the BLO allows it to penetrate the pores of the wood a lot easier, and I think the penetration is deeper because of it.

I give my wooden handle a soak in half linseed oil, half turpentine, BEFORE putting it on the hammer head. Then, after installing, one or two proper wedges should do the job. The oil/turps mix makes a good finish for the entire haft, making sure you remove the store-bought hard finish first.

Looks like I am going to rehandle and try again. Sounds like proper preperation BEFORE setting the head is more important than anything that can be done afterward. Can't say I'm thrilled about the answer, but I totally appreaciate the honest feed back. If I live long enough to learn a fraction of what you guys have forgotten, maybe I'll be able to answer a few questions some day instead of just asking!