I Forge Iron

Hi smiths,
I would like to share this one with you hope you like made from 1 inch coil spring.
snake skin wrap , brass inlays ,winchester jingle cones with horse tail and horse tail drop with beads.
spotted gum haft , feathers , brass studs, leather fringes .hawk bells thank you
Chris

post-25508-0-26125100-1341909914_thumb.j

post-25508-0-74082300-1341909960_thumb.j

post-25508-0-93892000-1341910134_thumb.j

post-25508-0-27504600-1341910179_thumb.j

Very nicely done and very pretty indeed. However I personally do not like adding stuff that prevents the use of the item---I'd have put the brass around the eye area and left the blade alone save perhaps for some engraving. (unless you are going for the dada look!)

Very nicely done and very pretty indeed. However I personally do not like adding stuff that prevents the use of the item---I'd have put the brass around the eye area and left the blade alone save perhaps for some engraving. (unless you are going for the dada look!)
Hi Thomas Powers glad you like .If i was going for the so called dada look i would have gone a lot further than what you see here i would have inlaying diamonds in the eyes and gems all over it but i think that would be a bit over dressed even for this lady but easy done tho .
thank you .
Chris

I was thinking of the iron with a row of tacks down the working area or the fur lined coffee cup both classic examples of dada

But I'm a fan of surrealism too, I have a Dali poster on the back of my door at work.
Hi Thomas not sure about that dada or surrelism stuff i just do what i want to do dont follow any movment that started in the 20s
Micheal Angelo once said David was in there i just brought him out . i forge and bring out what i think is ok i dont have name tags
to put on style heres another for your name tags forged from 1045 German style blacksmiths hammer .
Chris

post-25508-0-32801300-1341988878_thumb.j

post-25508-0-56496900-1341988919_thumb.j

post-25508-0-11379300-1341989010_thumb.j

I look at this piece the same as high end custom knives....it wouldn't get used. To each his own on that score.

Hi Thomas Powers glad you like .If i was going for the so called dada look i would have gone a lot further than what you see here i would have inlaying diamonds in the eyes and gems all over it but i think that would be a bit over dressed even for this lady but easy done tho .
thank you .
Chris

Yes Chris, diamonds & gem would too much bling for this or any hawk. Way, way too much.
Do you have your own website where you sell your work?

" Micheal Angelo once said David was in there i just brought him out . i forge and bring out what i think is ok i dont have name tags to put on. "

Maybe what Thomas is saying would be compared to having 2 handkerchiefs. One in the top pocket of the jacket, one in the back pants pocket. One for showin, one for blowin. I tend to go more towards the utility but I do indeed like your work (as it was made for a customer of yours, it suits the need).

Sometimes I just say that an item was in my head, I just turned it loose.

being able to use an item to me is tied up in it's identity. If you can't use it, is it really the item; or just a mock up of it? Sort of like the difference in a sword and a SLO...

Course when you get to discussing inanimate objects "identity" it's most likely time for a beer! Show up at Quad-State sometime I can get there too and I'll stand you to a round! (Just don't go waving your hands whilst we discuss such objects of you might prove me wrong about the "usability" and then we'd have to dispose of the evidence and clean the place up!)

" Micheal Angelo once said David was in there i just brought him out . i forge and bring out what i think is ok i dont have name tags to put on. "

Maybe what Thomas is saying would be compared to having 2 handkerchiefs. One in the top pocket of the jacket, one in the back pants pocket. One for showin, one for blowin. I tend to go more towards the utility but I do indeed like your work (as it was made for a customer of yours, it suits the need).

Sometimes I just say that an item was in my head, I just turned it loose.
Hi Ten Hammers I see it as a lady that is plainly dressed and one that is highly dressed
still a lady either way you look at her .
Your right tho a time and place for everything people have different views and this makes
life so interestng
Thank you
Chris.

being able to use an item to me is tied up in it's identity. If you can't use it, is it really the item; or just a mock up of it? Sort of like the difference in a sword and a SLO...

Course when you get to discussing inanimate objects "identity" it's most likely time for a beer! Show up at Quad-State sometime I can get there too and I'll stand you to a round! (Just don't go waving your hands whilst we discuss such objects of you might prove me wrong about the "usability" and then we'd have to dispose of the evidence and clean the place up!)
Hi Thomas no matter how highly decorated a firearm is its first basic princable was to be shot
thats about all i can say
Chris

*exactly* and so if it's decorated so it can't be shot---say a solid gold barrel plug with a whopping big diamond inset---is it still a firearm?

To me One's a lady dressed or undressed and the other might just be a fancy dress on a mannequin----to stir the metaphorical pot...

*exactly* and so if it's decorated so it can't be shot---say a solid gold barrel plug with a whopping big diamond inset---is it still a firearm?

To me One's a lady dressed or undressed and the other might just be a fancy dress on a mannequin----to stir the metaphorical pot...
Hi Thomas i think you may be the stirrer LOL .
All decoration is added not replacing by ,overlays , inlays or chiseling , but you could gold damacene the piug and inlay a diamond without changing its strength or usability
same as making a hawk you dont go to all that trouble of making a hawk hardening and tempering
then aneal the object to decorate it and make it totaly usless as i said before its just icing on top of the cake strong foundation first just
like building a house then you can do anything ..
Chris

However with the stuff on the side of the blade I don't see how you could use the hawk without damaging the ornamentation---splitting firewood is going to impact that stuff.

On the hammer the ornamentation is in locations that don't get "used" during normal use.

I would have gone with a pattern welded serpent in the blade area and then have it come out of the surface as your insets back of the eye where use wouldn't impact the insets. (but as the back of the eye is what the user sees anyway...)

However with the stuff on the side of the blade I don't see how you could use the hawk without damaging the ornamentation---splitting firewood is going to impact that stuff.

On the hammer the ornamentation is in locations that don't get "used" during normal use.

I would have gone with a pattern welded serpent in the blade area and then have it come out of the surface as your insets back of the eye where use wouldn't impact the insets. (but as the back of the eye is what the user sees anyway...)
Thomas your not getting the drift the hawk will cut with the best of them if called upon to be used
its a tool first . you may damage her clothes but still a lady under neath
Chris