I Forge Iron

Replacement leaf spring for leg vise

PeteH

Is anyone selling replacement springs any more ? Couple years ago, there was a guy on FleaBay selling them at a reasonable price... there weren't anything fancy, a relatively low-carbon steel I think, but he claimed they worked.

Reason: I have a nice old vise which is missing the spring - someone put a coilspring around the screw long before I got it, and it works, but it would be nice to have it look right as well as work right.

I could make one out of an old leafspring, but that would take time, which I don't have right now.

Thanks... peteH

Pete it needs to be fitted to your vise so it would be hard to buy ready made. It's a very simple project though and even mild steel will work just fine. No heat treatment is necessary. I would consider it a twenty minute project here. it could certainly be done in half that time though. One inch or one and a half inch by 1/8 inch mild steel strap is easy to get and will serve well.

Select a piece of 1/4 x Y mild steel where Y is the approximate width of the post. The length is approximately the available distance from the screw box to the top of the pivot.

Bend about 1/4 - 3/8 inch over into a hard 90 at one end, fish tail the other end some and fit the fishtail to the moving jaw. The features are on the same side of the bar. Bend the bar into a curve cold with the features to the inside. You can hammer into the hardy or step of the anvil (or on some hard dirt) to get the curve. You can also use the vise and a wrench to bend the curve.

Phil

A scrapyard is far cheaper than an automobile junk yard. At a scrapyard they are selling vs the scrap price of the metal. An auto junkyard is selling against the price of a new part for a car.

Never paid more than US$5 for a single leaf of a leaf spring and that was for a whopping big one at a scrapyard.

If you don't have a decent scrap yard near you check out the local auto mechanics they will often give you one if you ask nicely.