I Forge Iron

#0 Fly press?

Sam Salvati

Sam,

In your area, I would think you could find a nice used one. I looked for many years down here in the Sahara Desert of tools and eventually found an older #5 press for $300. At the time, I was very seriously considering a new one from OWA but am so thankful I checked Craigslist one last time before ordering. Nothing against OWA, but the price was unbeatable.

post-3508-0-67468000-1341711089_thumb.jppost-3508-0-67945900-1341711319_thumb.jppost-3508-0-18411100-1341711504_thumb.jppost-3508-0-53302100-1341711584_thumb.jpI have a #0 got it new. I like it alot. I use it for steel stamps, leather working tools, repousse. I added a counter weight ( Grant Sarver style) It is soo easy on my arm. With the right tooling can be quite productive. Puncing rivet holes in 14 ga. and thinner cold no problem.

sorry about the size of these pics I don't know why they are so big this time

There tends to be a lot of old fly presses in the NE from the clockmaking, jewelry, and cutlery industry that *once* was there. The rest of the USA is much "drier" though a friend bought one that had been used in the old Packard plant and mine came from a tool room in a factory in Columbus OH.

Phil, thanks for the photos!!! it looks like a nice stout size. just one question if you could, with a real forceful spin about how deep with one blow could you make a center punch mark?

Hollis, I am keeping my eyes and ears open, i am living in Maryland currently and daily craigslist turns up nothing. I am in no rush also, so i am looking:D

I would try to find a bigger one, you can do real lil' work on a big machine. I've got a p6 and when doing detail work I just put my hand on the flywheel and bump. A flypress is so precise and with the Sarver counterweight mod it's easy. I'm always wanting a second one and even then, I would go as big as i can get. Unless you're pulling on it all day, even the p6 is comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...