I Forge Iron

could not find a good hammer so ill make them

Pug}{maN

Its a good looking hammer and you should be proud of it. I only have one small critique the edges of the face are too sharp. A hammer should be dressed like the back of a pocket watch. Flat in the middle with gently rounded edges. Sharp edges make it hard to make clean forgings because they will leave marks in the work unless you strike the work squarely every time. Also when you are doing shoulders with the side of the face it will cause cold shuts to form in the stock. That all being said it is a good looking hammer,

thought about getting a band saw and doing it with walnut branches that i got....but im still try'n to get the smithy built...

Walnut is a beautiful wood but is not good as a hammer handle. I make a repousse hammer a few years ago and made a nice walnut handle from some scraps I had. Very first blow and the handle snapped.

My favorite straight peen has a peen that looks like a piece of 1" round stock on the end---beautiful for stretching out material compared to the narrow peens you find on modern commercial hammers that seem more suitable for cutting material than nudging it wider.

As for the handle: I like mine to have a bit more terminal swell so it stays in the hand on a stroke with minimal gripping---the less force needed to grip the handle in use the better it is for your hand and arm.

However if that is the style you prefer then go with it. MO is a great place to find handle seconds cheaply and I often like to find ones with cosmetic damage right were I will be removing it anyway making it a first as far as I am concerned. For my special hammers I like to find the curly grain handles.

Walnut is a beautiful wood but is not good as a hammer handle. I make a repousse hammer a few years ago and made a nice walnut handle from some scraps I had. Very first blow and the handle snapped.

There must have been a flaw in the wood, I've got one with a walnut handle that is 4 or 5 years old now. It sees regular use.

Although I admit I used the walnut because it was on hand and close to size already. I try to use pecan or similar for my handles.

ron

the hammer you posted pic of is a good one, just need to sand the edges off for a better face and blunt the pein for a more rounded profile. You can either make the hammer to fit the handles you have, or make the handles to fit the hammer you make....your choice...